How to connect 5.1 surround sound speakers to PC properly?

jgar70

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hello I just upgraded my old stereo speakers to some surround sound speakers. The specfic ones i got seem fairly common (logitech Z506 5.1) https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B003VAK1FA
I chose the wired ones. When Im connecting them I got prompted by Realtek audio to configure them. The only way I've gotten them to work is to just put them on stereo because i dont believe I have it connected properly for the surround sound? I have the a red and white RCA looking cable coming from the sub going directly into my pc. The cord is red and white on one side and 1 3.5 mm headphone out. Anyone know what cord I need to get the most out of these speakers? Also how I should connect them?

There is 3 spots on the back on my PC for audio I believe. Theres a green (where it is now) a pinkish red with a picture of a mic and a blue one labeled L/IN

Solution
It will have a green jack for the front L/R channels, an orange jack for the center and subwoofer channels, and a black jack for the rear surround L/R channels.
For 7.1 it would also have a silver jack for side surround L/R channels.
If you don't want to add a soundcard or have a laptop you can get a USB to 5.1 converter.

jgar70

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
im sorry i jsut realized this exact issue has been covered before. It doesnt seem my PC supports it. Does anyone know what a PC that does support 5.1 surround sound would look like?

It will have a green jack for the front L/R channels, an orange jack for the center and subwoofer channels, and a black jack for the rear surround L/R channels.
For 7.1 it would also have a silver jack for side surround L/R channels.
If you don't want to add a soundcard or have a laptop you can get a USB to 5.1 converter.

Solution