How to connect a powered sub to a legacy stereo receiver

pablogonzales

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
I have an old Sony STR-AV720 receiver and I recently acquired an old Fisher SW6100 powered subwoofer and would like to connect the two. The receiver has speaker connections for surround sound but no subwoofer connection. The powered sub has high level input and output connections that appear to be for speaker wires and low level RCA type inputs. There are crossover dials on the back of the sub as well. What is the recommended configuration for connecting this sub to this receiver ?

Solution
The best way to connect the sub is using the low level inputs. This way allows you to use the crossover in the sub and the low signal also has much less noise and distortion, bur to do this the receiver has to have preouts and preins for the main front amp. If you have them run RCA cables front the front preouts to the sub and the RCA outs on the sub to the front preins on the receiver. Than you can use the level control and cross over controlof the sub to blend the lows to the main front speakers. If you don't has that option run the main speaker wires to the sub and then run the high level speaker wire to the main speakers.

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
The best way to connect the sub is using the low level inputs. This way allows you to use the crossover in the sub and the low signal also has much less noise and distortion, bur to do this the receiver has to have preouts and preins for the main front amp. If you have them run RCA cables front the front preouts to the sub and the RCA outs on the sub to the front preins on the receiver. Than you can use the level control and cross over controlof the sub to blend the lows to the main front speakers. If you don't has that option run the main speaker wires to the sub and then run the high level speaker wire to the main speakers.

Solution

ien2222

Distinguished
Basically what Goodeggray said but just to finish where he left off, that particular receiver has preouts for tape 1&2, video, and DAT. You should be able to connect one pair of RCA cables from one of those preouts and plug it into your sub. I'm assuming there's L/R on your sub, if it's just one RCA input on the sub then you will need to use a Y adapter between the receiver and sub.