How to Connect a PS4 Controller to a PC — to Hilarious Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiimonkey9

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Or you could use PS3 controllers, Motioninjoy, and a bluetooth adapter, I personally don't like the PS4 Controller's design.

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
No mention of the MotioninJoy drivers or Better DS3 with a PS3 controller? Or if those drivers work with the PS4 controller?

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
@wiimonkey9: I don't know if you ever used a DS4 or you are using binoculars to observe this controller visually, but it is 1000x more ergonomic than the DS3, better materials (switchback materials front and back) better triggers, better analogs (curvature and deadzone). It felt so awkward using a DS3 after using the 4

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I don't get this. If you don't own a X360 or have a 360 controller, why not just get a Logitech F310 or F710 (if you want wireless)? They support both X and D inputs and as well are designed much like a PS controller.

Why use a controller that wont work with a game without some third party software that could possibly cause issues?

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Spinning Nightmare mode on portal 2? Save yourself 50 bones and just type +left in console.

good times on TF2 running in circles with +left and +forward spamming HLDJ with a buddy in arena as the last two guys left alive. Valve removed it though and ended our trolling fun.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
You can connect a DualShock 4 to PC through bluetooth without the need for a USB cable by holding down the PS button and Share button for 5 seconds until the lightbar starts flashing. That's how I use it with emulators.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Also the DualShock 4 shows up as a standard controller when used with bluetooth and I haven't needed any third party software to get it to work with anything. The only problem is the touchpad doesn't work, but you can still use it as a button.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Also the DualShock 4 shows up as a standard controller when used with bluetooth and I haven't needed any third party software to get it to work with anything. The only problem is the touchpad doesn't work, but you can still use it as a button.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
+1/2 for Logitech 310. Too bad these pads have stick issues, cause otherwise they would be a no-brainer at $20 per each. They are, however, the only way to play DirectInput and XInput titles without buying 2 gamepads.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I went shopping for a controller to use on my PC a few years ago. I bought a xbox 360 controller. Here's the thing. I looked at two xbox 360 controllers (identical). Both were wired. The only difference between the two was the packaging. One was labeled as being for the xbox 360. One was labeled as being for PC. The only thing different between them was the packaging. I want that to be clear. The one labeled as being for the PC was nearly half the cost. It obviously works perfectly fine on both the PC and the xbox 360. Since nothing has changed, there's still no reason to even look at another controller.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
BetterDS3 I found is better than motionjoy. I have used MJ for a while, and bettereds3 is faster to setups, and casuing less problems. Plus it doesn't come with all those ads.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
The spinning issue is due to the PS4 controller, like 99% of controllers on the market, using either SDL or DirectInput, rather then Microsofts Xinput API. Due to the differences in the API, what used to be the "null" position of the right stick is read as a constant left, resulting in camera spin in most games. This is also why Square/Triangle and X/Circle are flipped, since the button mappings are different.

Using X360CE basically solves the problem, but someone really needs to make a universal shim layer to make most gamepads work with XInput.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While I don't own either console (xbox or playstation), I have played on the 360, PS3 and a little on the PS4 (in store). The 360 controller is still far more comfortable/natural to use than the Playstation controllers. And this is coming from someone whose main console experience is on the PS2.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Couple of guys I watch on YouTube and Twitch use PS4 controllers without any trouble to play Borderlands 2. One mentioned you need to set it up right, it wouldn't work just plugging it in properly, but it can be done fairly easily.

D-Marquee

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I am not usually disappointed with tom's guide. But this article is garbage. Any PC master race citizen knows you should always remap buttons, regardless of support/programming language/ drivers used. It's a natural step to setting up the best gameplay experience. Defaults are rarely enjoyable. For all of you nay Sayers on the PS4 controller. Seriously, go back to your consoles you dirty console peasants. There is a reason you will never enjoy PC gaming because you still prefer Xbox and lesser ergonomic designs to quality items. The ps4 controller is the greatest ergonomic controller to come out of consoles, period. It is a fact reviewed over and over on YouTube.So Marshall, thank you for your console peasant commentary on an issue most of us PC master race citizens know how to solve. These so called problem areas keep you console noobs out if my PC game lobbies. And for that I thank you.

william.stoerung

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
You can re-pair it with your PS4 by connecting it with the MicroUSB cable. The lightbar will glow yellow and after that it will work as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.