How to connect hdtv to Directv and Dvd/Vcr combo

Nora_4

Estimable
Jan 30, 2016
I have a Vizio E32h-C1 hdtv , a Directv box d12-500 and a Magnavox dvd/vcr combo mwr20v6. I have no clue how to connect them or what I need. The only connections I have are: 2 coax; 1 red, yellow, white cord and a 3 way line splitter.
Note: When having tried myself the tv would turn on but within a minute the picture (guide is as far as I got) would flip/distorted, going black and end with vertical white lines. Yes, the tv is upright sitting on the stands that came with it. Thank you in advance for any help. :)

Solution
The correct way to connect the DTV box to the TV with an HDMI cable. Otherwise you won't get an HD picture. This cable gives you picture and sound.
For playback connect the DVD/VCR output to the TV input with the composite video (yellow) and audio (red &white) cables
For recording connect the DTV box composite video and audio outs (yellow, red white) to the DVD VCR composite video/audio input. Select that input on the DVD/VCR for recording. You will only be able to control when the recording starts and stops since you cannot change the channel that the DTV box is set to output.
The correct way to connect the DTV box to the TV with an HDMI cable. Otherwise you won't get an HD picture. This cable gives you picture and sound.
For playback connect the DVD/VCR output to the TV input with the composite video (yellow) and audio (red &white) cables
For recording connect the DTV box composite video and audio outs (yellow, red white) to the DVD VCR composite video/audio input. Select that input on the DVD/VCR for recording. You will only be able to control when the recording starts and stops since you cannot change the channel that the DTV box is set to output.

Solution