Solved! How to connect my Samsung home theatre with Samsung TV

Mar 31, 2020
Hi all,

I have a Samsung Home Thearte system (HT-Q20) and a Samsung Smart TV Q70R55.

I was wondering whether I can buy an adapter or anything to connect the home theatre to my TV and be able to use the surround sound when I watch normal TV lr other apps from my TV.

TV has HDMI and optical connecter. The surround system has the old RCA connectors.

Kindly advice :)

Tnx

Solution
Is power connected to the converter?

"If you connect an external audio device using an optical cable, the Sound Output setting is automatically changed to the connected device. However, to make this happen, you must turn on the external audio device before connecting the optical cable. To manually change the Sound Output setting, do one of the following:
––
Use the Quick Settings screen to change to the connected device:
Use the Select button to select Optical on the Sound Output menu. ( Settings up directional button Sound Output).
––
Use the Settings screen to change to the connected device:
Select Optical on the Sound Output menu. ( Settings Sound Sound Output).
●●
An unusual noise coming from a connected audio device while you are...
Mar 31, 2020

tnx for your prompt reply. I had bought an rca to hdmi converter, thought it would work, but this is what I should had bought lol

below is an image of the back of the decoder - where to connect the ends of the adapter?

samsung_htq20_1503320427_080d18fd2

Mar 31, 2020
The optical output from the TV via toslink cable to the adapter and from the adapter via stereo RCA cable to the AUDIO IN ports (red and white in the middle) of the decoder.

tnx, attached the wiring as per stated above ... however when I switch from ‘TV sound’ to ‘Optical’ sound so that I can use the surround sound as the output sound, all I hear is a hissing sound.

what could be the issue?

Is power connected to the converter?

"If you connect an external audio device using an optical cable, the Sound Output setting is automatically changed to the connected device. However, to make this happen, you must turn on the external audio device before connecting the optical cable. To manually change the Sound Output setting, do one of the following:
––
Use the Quick Settings screen to change to the connected device:
Use the Select button to select Optical on the Sound Output menu. ( Settings up directional button Sound Output).
––
Use the Settings screen to change to the connected device:
Select Optical on the Sound Output menu. ( Settings Sound Sound Output).
●●
An unusual noise coming from a connected audio device while you are using it may indicate a problem with the audio device itself. If this occurs, ask for assistance from the audio device's manufacturer.
●●
Digital audio is only available with 5.1 channel broadcasts."

Solution
Mar 31, 2020
Noted above.

Speakers work fine as when I use them as radio, they work.

Tried reconnecting and now they work fine, maybe it was a loose connection or something.

One last issue - I have a 5.1 surround, however the output is coming as 2.1 ... From the TV itself, the option to use Dolby Digital is now set as ‘PCM Digital Output’

Reactions: helpstar