Solved! How to connect older av equipment, tv and speakers.

May 26, 2021
Hi can anyone help me connect my equipment? I would like to connect a Digital converter box, DVD, Blu-ray, VHS, Roku, Wii , TV and a white van special 5:1 subwoofer speaker without having to buy a receiver. Most of the equipment is older, I can't afford to buy anything new because my husband is bedridden and terminal, all money goes to medical needs. I would like to have a surround sound experience with all the devices, is it possible?

The TV is an Olevia 542-b11, it seems to have enough connections for all the devices but none for the 5:1 system. It needs the digital converter because it was mistakenly factory reset and no functions work, so it is basically a monitor, unless someone can tell me how to fix it .

The Blu-ray player has the capability to connect the 5:1 system but it won't play DVDs any more (that has happened to me multiple times with Sony, ugh and why.... I love Sony's older machines ).

I am dating myself but years ago you had to run everything through the VHS then into the TV. So with everything having its own source input, how do I get the speakers to work with everything? TYIA.

Solution
What do you mean by no functions work, on the TV? What does not work exactly? If you can't buy anything else, then you just need to connect what you can, you can't add any more connections without a splitter which is what a receiver would be.

You also need to list all the connections your devices have, especially that 5.1 speaker setup. Really what should be done is everything goes to the TV, the TV audio out goes to the speaker. It's just a matter of looking at what connections you have and connecting them to the TV.

You have both a DVD and a Bluray player? Get rid of the DVD player, the blueray player can play DVDs also.
What do you mean by no functions work, on the TV? What does not work exactly? If you can't buy anything else, then you just need to connect what you can, you can't add any more connections without a splitter which is what a receiver would be.

You also need to list all the connections your devices have, especially that 5.1 speaker setup. Really what should be done is everything goes to the TV, the TV audio out goes to the speaker. It's just a matter of looking at what connections you have and connecting them to the TV.

You have both a DVD and a Bluray player? Get rid of the DVD player, the blueray player can play DVDs also.

Solution
May 26, 2021

Sorry for the delay, my husband is on hospice and I got distracted. Yes all the components are on the floor still, only semi hooked up. I figured out how to change the settings on the TV, so that the functions work. It had accidentally been set to showroom, which only allows you to change the volume and channels.
I do need to keep the sony 5 disk DVD player because my Sony blue ray player since it has had a firmware update, it stopped playing the DVDs. I had called the company and have replaced it, and it happened again. Going back to factory reset didn't work. So the second time it happened it was one month past warranty. So the older 5 disk Sony, that didn't need firmware updates, still works. Our situation doesn't allow me to buy any new. I will get the model numbers and pictures, later tonight when I get another chance. Thanks