Solved! how to connect Roku/Sony TV/Magnavox VCR/DVD to record to DVD

Mar 26, 2022
Trying to record programs from Roku Express 3941X connected to Sony Bravia TV model KDL-40R450A & Magnavox DVD/VCR Recorder model ZV427MG9. I'm trying to record shows to DVD from YouTube TV. What do I need?

Roku is connected to TV at HDMI 1. DVD recorder connected to TV thru HMDI (Out) to HDMI 2 on TV. There are Red/White/Yellow RCA jacks on In/Out on DVD Recorder still available.

The two HDMI ports on the TV are being used. There are open RCA Red/Yellow/White jacks available on back of tv. I still need to connect TV OUT to DVD Recorder IN. HOW ?

Last edited:
Solution
Almost all digital devices now have content protection to prevent recording to analog sources. There are probably no outputs of video on the TV you can use, you would need to connect the ROKU to an HDMI to component or composite converter, depending on what your recorder has, then connect that to the recorder, but of course then you are going blind on the ROKU since it won't be connected to a TV unless you again split the analog signal going to the TV inputs. It will also significantly impact quality since you are going from a HD signal to one about half of that, likely with extra noise.

Another option is to find an older Roku Express + that has analog video out and connect that to the recorder.
Almost all digital devices now have content protection to prevent recording to analog sources. There are probably no outputs of video on the TV you can use, you would need to connect the ROKU to an HDMI to component or composite converter, depending on what your recorder has, then connect that to the recorder, but of course then you are going blind on the ROKU since it won't be connected to a TV unless you again split the analog signal going to the TV inputs. It will also significantly impact quality since you are going from a HD signal to one about half of that, likely with extra noise.

Another option is to find an older Roku Express + that has analog video out and connect that to the recorder.

Solution