how to control memory usage

sherwindu

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
How do I control which memory is being used in my camera, internal or card? There are no obvious menu items or controls to designate which memory to use on this Olympus Point and Shoot. Should I care which memory is being used?

Solution
It probably fills the internal memory then goes to the card, equally probable is that it ignores the onboard storage totally if a card is inserted. Should not matter at all, it would be seamless if it switches. You may be able to find an option to force card only use if you search in the manual. Most are available as searchable PDF files online and would be easier to do a word search there for this than look in all the menu options in the camera.
It probably fills the internal memory then goes to the card, equally probable is that it ignores the onboard storage totally if a card is inserted. Should not matter at all, it would be seamless if it switches. You may be able to find an option to force card only use if you search in the manual. Most are available as searchable PDF files online and would be easier to do a word search there for this than look in all the menu options in the camera.

Solution

sherwindu

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I think Olympus has dropped the ball here as I have scanned their PDF manual carefully and there is no information about
how memory is managed. There are two visible icons that will indicate which memory is currently in use. There are also two error indicators if either the internal or the card memory are full. A similar point and shoot Olympus that I bought years ago at least had a memory indicator to show available space. This new model does not have it. It also had a view finder and screen whereas this new model only has the screen. That's progress.