How to convert my movies from uncompressed 5.1 surround sound to Dolby DTS without Dolby Digital Live

Tylor Boleychuk

Estimable
Jul 20, 2014
i use an optical cable to connect my pc to my receiver (s/pdif) because my receiver does not have hdmi and it is hard to run 3 50 ft rca cables across my room. My sound card does not support dolby digital live. i was wondering if i could compress all audio on my pc or at the very least convert my movies so they work with with vlc player with a third party application?

currently only around 5 of the movies i have are compressed to work i think they are in AC3 or something

firstrig

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
DTS can carry 2 channels of uncompressed audio or 5.1 channel compressed (DTS) audio *theoretically* although I have noticed that the latter always seems lagging in quality because of bandwidth limitations. I was in a similar situation as yours and tried everything from audio-video splitters to software solutions, the end result was me having to frequently visit the store to buy Aspirin for my headache. I realized that it would take more effort and money to downgrade my content quality to make it compatible with my system than it would take to upgrade my hardware to accommodate and enjoy it!

The best solution is to just buy an entry level, (~80$) or refurbished Blueray player that has the provision for USB input. Load all your 5.1 uncompressed movies onto a portable hard disk and plug it into the player and enjoy good quality sound.

or break down and buy a DDL compatible soundcard.

the xonar dx or creative z both run $80 and support DDL

--

converting your entire collection over is going to take a huge amount of time and i wouldnt wish that on anyone. its going to be less of a headache in the long run to just get DDL support.

Tylor Boleychuk

Estimable
Jul 20, 2014

so there is no simple software that does it for me :(

what soundcard?

if it is realtek based then you may be able to unlock DDL support

http://www.mordorhq.com/showthread.php?13604-Unlock-DTS-Dolby-Digital-Interactive-DD-Live-on-any-Realtek-HD-audio-onboard

however, be aware that the above link is not official for realtek and that i cannot veryify in any way that the information contained is safe

it does however look like a fix (or the various other "unlock realtek" threads which come up as well). i cant say how well it works however it seems as if at least limited support is gained.

to stay 100% supported i still would suggest a soundcard but that is your own choice.

similarly creative offers a DDL software pack for many of its x-fi soundcards. it might include models which do not normally get DDL support in their typical driver package. i'm not sure if they originally came with support or not but if you use creative perhaps worth a look here http://software.store.creative.com/software/dolby-digital-live-and-dts-connect-pack/106-18034.aspx

Tylor Boleychuk

Estimable
Jul 20, 2014

i have a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtream Audio sound card would that work with the ddl drivers?