May 9, 2018
Hello,

I've Hp Laptop which came with 12 GB RAM [ 4GB Micron 2133MHz & 8GB Samsung 2133MHz ]
recently I've been facing BSODs, I run a memory test and it displays the message "Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair this problems,you will need to contact the computer manufacturer."
I've figured out one of the RAM is faulty, so I want to disable 1 RAM slot without opening the laptop case and make that the PC will ran smoothly on the remaining 1 RAM stick
Is there a method to deactivate a ram slot ?

Thanks in advance,

Solution
make a boot usb stick with memtest86. let it run..it give you a memory range and slot if it finds an error. one issue wiht laptop memory is that it can fall out of the ram clips. if your not tech to open your laptop then run the memory tester then print out or take a cam photo of the error and do a rma to have the vendor repair the laptop if it under warranty or take it to a shop that can replace the failing stick for you.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
No, even if you could disable a ram slot it will be still a jumper/switch on the motherboard so you still need to open the case. Best you can do is open the case and remove the ram if that ram is not soldered on the motherboard, if it is then you have to go to warranty.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Hi, I am also not aware of disabling DIMMs directly. But as per this post says, you might be able to block out the top part of the RAM or limit the RAM to the bottom range.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series/Disable-second-DIMM-slot/td-p/481647

You would either /BURNMEMORY or block the bottom part or /MAXMEM to limit the upper range of the memeory.
It is best to replace the faulty RAM if possible, best case scenario your 4gb ram is faulty and you get another 8 gigs samsung RAM. Then it could also run in dual channel which does make a difference with onboard graphics quite a bit.

make a boot usb stick with memtest86. let it run..it give you a memory range and slot if it finds an error. one issue wiht laptop memory is that it can fall out of the ram clips. if your not tech to open your laptop then run the memory tester then print out or take a cam photo of the error and do a rma to have the vendor repair the laptop if it under warranty or take it to a shop that can replace the failing stick for you.

Solution