How to do factory reset on laptop if I cannot get passed the start up page

Kim_37

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
How to do factory reset on my Toshiba windows vista laptop if I cannot get passed the start up page.

Solution
You should be able to do as you are seeking right as you start up the computer. It doesn't have to get into Windows or other screens.

Upon booting up the laptop just keep hitting the 0 key. The one at the top of the keyboard, not the one on the number pad. Make sure you release the key when the Toshiba logo appears.
You should be able to do as you are seeking right as you start up the computer. It doesn't have to get into Windows or other screens.

Upon booting up the laptop just keep hitting the 0 key. The one at the top of the keyboard, not the one on the number pad. Make sure you release the key when the Toshiba logo appears.

Solution

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

My laptop is an MSI & the tapping 0 doesn't do anything

Can you see a recovery option in Windows Control Panel?

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

No all I get is the DOS screen with the option to press Tab, f3, f11 or delete.. That's it..

Hopefully F11 gives you boot options so perhaps you could borrow an operating system DVD to boot up the machine and go through the StartUp repair options but it sounds like the hard disk isn't being recognised.

The best thing to do is to take that disk out, buy a converter and slave it to the machine you're posting from then run Checkdisk. At an elevated Command Prompt, use the syntax chkdsk /r so the /r switch can try to fix any disk errors it finds.

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
[strike][/strike]
The hardest part I've found is that nobody I know has a usb or disc copy.... I'll give your Checkdisk a chance & if not it looks like my son gets his new laptop...