How to Fix a Frozen Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

You give no details of which Samsung tablet you have but, I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, 1 month old, which totally locked me out. Tried every which way, e-mails and phone calls to Samsung support were helpful but no solution, eventually was given replacement.

Wayne Rogers

Commendable
May 1, 2016

I have a Galaxy Tab S Tablet that had a frozen game screen (Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes - Guild Message screen)... the screen completely froze as soon as it went to a dimmer screen automatically (from non-use)... holding power/down volume and home key for 10 secs did not work... tried connecting charger... still frozen... thought i would just let the power run out to reset it... so i let it sit a half hour... but then tried holding down the power/up volume/ and home key together for about 3 minutes... it finally reset by itself... upon re-powering the power read 10% and the screen message to connect charger appeared... have read other people having screen lock-ups due to the automatic dimming function (corrected by turning the function off but on my unit the screen times out automatically after 1 minute of inactivity with no selection... i am going to try to select the "smart stay" check box...screen stays on as long as you are looking at it... and cross my fingers this is a work-around )... Hope this is helpful.

ripdaddy

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

Andre_47

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

You save my three months old Galaxy 4 to be thrashed. thank you! Do you know why this total blackout happen in the first place without no reason at all I could consider?

kpro1955

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Hold the power key and the right side of the volume button until screen turns black

Andre_47

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

EmersonTheTiny

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

volune button that would turn up the volume or down?

kpro1955

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

GayLK__

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Thanks for this post. I was having intermittent freezing and apps would allow sleeping when they were not supposed to. I found Touch Wiz home not Touch wiz easy. I only cleared the cache, did clear data and force off but that has stopped the sleep issue and freezing so far.

Gemee

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

Thank you! My Samsung Galaxy Tab S was frozen at the startup stage for nearly an hour despite all that I tried. Only holding down both volumes and power after connecting it to charge worked t get the phone off.

Now to get it to actually hard reset. :/

Cecilia_5

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Thanx so much! I did what you said and it worked,thank you so much!

Alex_259

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

this worked a charm

Blupigracing

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Hi,
Hold the power on and the volume button down together for 10 seconds. The screen will turn black and the system will reboot, installing any outstanding up dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.