How to get 4ohm out of 2-4ohm amp

Mar 30, 2018
I bought a hifonics ZXX-600.4 to power my 4 full range speakers witch are 4ohm, do i need to bridge this amp to get the right watts and ohm?

Solution
You have a four channel amp and four 4ohm speakers, so one speaker per channel would get you 4ohms per channel @ 75w each.

Bridging is if you only want to drive 2 speakers with that amp, usually two 4ohm subs (or one sub with dual voice coils). Each of the resulting two channels would then see 300w. As it is unlikely that full-range speakers can use that kind of power, four speakers would sound better than two, and may even be louder despite only receiving half the wattage.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
You have a four channel amp and four 4ohm speakers, so one speaker per channel would get you 4ohms per channel @ 75w each.

Bridging is if you only want to drive 2 speakers with that amp, usually two 4ohm subs (or one sub with dual voice coils). Each of the resulting two channels would then see 300w. As it is unlikely that full-range speakers can use that kind of power, four speakers would sound better than two, and may even be louder despite only receiving half the wattage.

Solution
Mar 30, 2018
Thank you very much for your quick reply! so dose that mean its a 4ohm amp capable of 2ohm? I thought it was 2 ohm amp capable of 4ohm. With that being said dose that mean its not capable of 4ch at 2ohm? The box says 4ohm 4×75W and 2ohm 4×150W, dose the amp detect the resistance and switch into 4ohm?

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
By reducing the impedance in half, current is naturally doubled so there's no "detection" required. That's why if you use lower impedance speakers than the amp is rated for, the amp can overheat and shut off if you crank it up.

You can run four channels in 2ohm with that amp by either using four 2ohm speakers, or eight 4ohm speakers where each channel runs two speakers wired in parallel. Each channel would then deliver 150w.

Note that not running the lowest impedance improves damping factor so the speaker will sound more controlled or "tighter." Running the lowest impedance the amp is rated for gets you the most power but the sound is "looser."