How to get 5.1 output from 2.1 digital output sony tv

Smtuismtui

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
I am connecting logitech z906 to my sony led tv (Sony KDL-40NX650) through optical cable ,but not getting satified 5.1 surround sound ( rear speakers make low noise),whereas it works perfect on 4.1 effect , my tv has stereo ( 2.1) digital output, so what do i need between tv and logitech z906 to get maximum output from my rear speaker during 5.1 setup. Should I go for decoder which will convert 2.1 stereo output into 5.1 for logitech Z906. Or is there any alternative

Solution
You can't use a 5.1 processor since the speakers don't have 5.1 analog audio inputs,
Your TV has two settings for the optical audio output. The Auto setting is compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1 which the speakers will decode. The other option is PCM stereo 2.0. If you use this setting the speakers have to be in the surround mode that synthesizes surround sound rather than just decoding it.
Be aware that most TV programming won't have any rear channel information. You should hear theL/R fronts working almost all the time, The center all the time, and the sub only when there is bass. You will actually get more rear sound if you set the TV to stereo and use the synthesized mode because there will always be some leakage to the rear speakers...
You can't use a 5.1 processor since the speakers don't have 5.1 analog audio inputs,
Your TV has two settings for the optical audio output. The Auto setting is compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1 which the speakers will decode. The other option is PCM stereo 2.0. If you use this setting the speakers have to be in the surround mode that synthesizes surround sound rather than just decoding it.
Be aware that most TV programming won't have any rear channel information. You should hear theL/R fronts working almost all the time, The center all the time, and the sub only when there is bass. You will actually get more rear sound if you set the TV to stereo and use the synthesized mode because there will always be some leakage to the rear speakers that you can turn up. With digital surround there won't be any so turning the rears up doesn't get you more sound.
The 5 speakers should be set up with a test tone so that they are the same volume from your chair. When you do this you will get the same sound mix that the engineer intended you to hear. Sometimes that means just the center channel.

Solution