Solved! How to get a 2 female to 1 male adapter to work

Feb 16, 2019
just got a new Laptop with only one 3.5mm audio jack. To use my headset i got an adapter but the microphone won't work.
everytime i try to search online i get the reverse... (1 female to 2 male jack splitters)

Solution
Having a single port doesn't mean it will work with a microphone. Many laptops have very cheap 3.5mm ports installed which even though they may say they are dual (input/output) don't always work as such.

To get around this, you are really better off getting a 3.5mm to USB adapter to make it work. They have way less problems, and the cheap adapters for these work quite well. The adapters come in both single plug (input/output) 3.5mm to USB and dual plug (input and output) 3.5mm to USB.

Daggeroth

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
If you bought a cheap one online. that's your problem. Try an octopus or a bar one.
That 2 to 1 cord maybe in the wrong direction. Some cables only allow signal to go 1 way. You may have the wrong 1.

Having a single port doesn't mean it will work with a microphone. Many laptops have very cheap 3.5mm ports installed which even though they may say they are dual (input/output) don't always work as such.

To get around this, you are really better off getting a 3.5mm to USB adapter to make it work. They have way less problems, and the cheap adapters for these work quite well. The adapters come in both single plug (input/output) 3.5mm to USB and dual plug (input and output) 3.5mm to USB.

Solution