How to get better quality with 3.5mm headset

ThatWhitizoGuy

Estimable
Jul 12, 2015
So my motherboard's soundcard is terrible and i dont have a soundcard. I've always stuck to usb headset because i play counter strike and good surround sound is a priority. My old headset which was a kraken usb was good enough but i wasnt satisfied with the mic. In skype/TS it would give off static which iritated people so id have to mute unless giving calls. In a rage i picked up the headsets and threw it at the wall. Stupid, I know but atm I have like 60 euro to burn on a headset and I'm tired of gaming headsets so I've been looking at audiophile headphones and a mic seperately as people say it's much better. My only problem is when I use headphones with a 3.5 jack I dont get surround sound. It's always got this buzzing if theres no audio and it's only left and right, no surround. I'm not too sure but I think it's something like Digital when I want it to be analog.

So what I'm asking is there first of all any software that would help with virtual surround and if not is there some sort of external sound card or something I can use to make it surround. I have a functioning microphone so right now my priorty is all on the headset. I was looking at a superlux HD681 or a HD668B and a Zalman zm-mic1

SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
There is a program I use called "Voice meeter" that gives you more cutomability and control over your audio, and lets you edit this like: low. mid. high. it could be worth a try. There should be youtube tutorials on how to use it. I find that the bass is helpful in hearing footsteps in csgo.
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

ThatWhitizoGuy

Estimable
Jul 12, 2015
My problem isnt the audio quality. My ear buds im currently using as a temporary solution sound really nice on my phone and you can hear its surround sound when playing music. it just sounds nice. on my computer it sounds shittier and theres no surround, its just left and right. So I cant base players position off audio but rather think about it which is obviously not very good. A player thats way behind me pretty far away can sound like hes to my left really loud or even my right really quietly. I've tried virtual surround and it doesnt work

if you are getting buzzing over 3.5mm, you might want to use a different soundcard. while there are cheap solutions that plug in via usb that would likely work, something like the xonar dg (if you're using a desktop) would be more ideal as an upgrade.

for virtual surround you can use razer's virtual surround program or even better get a soundcard which has virtual support (like the xonar dg).

the zalman mic is fairly low end. it will work in a pinch although there are some better mics available at a bit more cost.