How to get dolby digital audio if possible or 5 channel?

expandir

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hi,

Im really desperate. :cry:
I have looked everywhere already, so I guess is time to ask.

Okay, so I have this motherboard, Asus P5KPL-AM SE (manual here: http://support.you.gr/catalog/17/173B48D4A4E8DE4B9F620A4F7AD9F6C3.pdf

and Im trying to connect it to a fairly old but still very good Creative Aspire 5.1 Digital 5500 5.1 speaker system

(manual here: http://ccftp.creative.com/Manuals/TSD/2298/English Inspire5500.pdf

I have accomplished to get 2+1 audio by just using a minijack to minijack through the green connector in my soundcard (apparently the lineout port), but I became too confused. I tried to find the appropiate cables (according to creative, I think a minijack to RCA female and THEN a RCA male to male ¿?¿?¿) without success and just got confused with the terminology (should I look for 3.5 jack? minijack? will it work? What improvements in sound should I expect?)

Thanks in advance for helping me . I appreciate it, really.

First, before you pull your hair out, make sure you have dolby surround program material. ARE you playing dolby surround media? DOES the CD DVD say "dolby surround" ON it?
If you have stereo 2 channel media, that you are playing, there is NO surround on the media to start with. Read the previous statement carefully, because there is NO surround sound on regular CDs or DVDs.

However there is SIMULATED surround that you can switch ON. When the simulated surround is switched ON, the 2 channel media will play in ALL the speakers.
The settings to turn the simulated surround ON, are located in the audio software.

you must download the dolby drivers from the dolby website
you must have the correct audio drivers from the asus website, the current version for your board.
you must install the drivers as below *
You must follow the audio instructions written in the asus motherboard manual, in it's entirety, that you have download from the asus website.

** IF you have done all that as I told you, and the problem is not solved, you could actually have a bad motherboard, with a defect audio chipset, etc...
However-- you can install an audio card to work around the problem, if you like a workaround.

* Double click the speaker icon in the lower right hand of the desktop, this will bring up the mixer, or single click to bring up the volume control. Laptops: see below, third paragraph.
Check the setting of the mixer or volume control.
But in case the volume is missing, corrupted, or the audio is otherwise non-functional:
you check whichever audio was installed:
click start, click control panel, click add remove programs, look at the list...
which audio software is shown on the list? delete it, restart the computer.

now visit the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer's website
look up your computer drivers by model number
download the latest audio drivers, save on the desktop...
turn the antivirus off,
if you have multiple security programs installed, turn them all off
(your driver may not install if security systems are turned on)
now load your new audio driver, restart, turn the antivirus back on.

Laptops: Your volume controls may be built into the keyboard. (varies according to make and model number)
OR: your volume control may be a knob, located near the headphone jack.
Download the entire manual for your computer model from the manufacturer's website.
The manual will show you where all the keyboard audio or wireless ethernet controls are located.
But besides the manufacturer keyboard controls, you will still have software controls, as above. (first paragraph)
So if "either one of these volume controls is turned to "zero" you will have no sound. If the Mixer is turned to zero, or muted, you will have no sound.
Hmmm, better check that.