How to get rid of osx

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alth0triplemadang

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
Hi

I like macbooks. I like the hardware and it's looks. It's looks premium, simplistic, and elegant for me.
But, what i hate of a macbooks?
A OSX!!!

I was dreaming if i can wipe the entire disk and only install windows with no apple software bundled inside it.

It's possible?

~being a windows user since I'm 5 years old. From 95, until 10 1586

Solution
Repeating "OSX mated to Apple hardware" I wager no hackintosh will feel the same as Apple hardware.

If you love Apple hardware, go for it. Windows on Macbook is been done, and as mentioned, you can load both OS and switch back and forth to try it out, and if at the end still hate OSX and don't feel like OSX just sitting there doing nothing then go through the procedure of installing only Windows, it's just time and effort.

ffg7

Splendid
only other problem I had was with the imac's keyboard as the option key was not working as the keyboard was physically damaged. read on the net I could use the "alt" key on a windows keyboard which I did that allowed me to remove osx & load win7 64bit.

mildocjr

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
Yes you can get rid of OS X, however, you will need to download the Windows drivers for the MacBook first which will probably try to install a bunch of Apple-ware on your Windows partition. Also I'm not sure how far an Apple Store would be likely to assist you if you just removed OS X from the device. Some third-parties may even turn you down. Your best course of action is to resize the Mac OS partition to as small as you can make it, then use bootcamp to install Windows on the drive and use Windows as your default startup disk. It would be the safest and probably the best way to ensure you are eligible for the full year of free replacements (because the clamshell on a 2010 MBP cost $1300 to replace).

Since a lot of Windows users with your mindset tend to play video games, I might add that you're not going to have a very good experience gaming on MacBook, even with Windows, the hardware is designed more for crunching numbers, not displaying millions of moving vertices. Gingerbread is almost correct in his statement of giving up 90% of the games out there, you do give up a lot but I'll be honest, it's more like 70%, and of that 70% probably 10% is because the hardware just isn't good enough, the rest is because there isn't a port for it.

To answer some of your other questions, Apple ships their OS pre-installed on Windows, but decided a long time ago to cut the costs with optical disks, the transfer speed is slower compared to installing from a hard disk or flash drive, you can buy a thumbdrive pre-loaded with Apple's OS X but as another user posted you will need to build a hackintosh, as the OS is specifically made for the models Apple currently sells and in the past they only support a computer model for 7 years then it is considered legacy with no support. Windows is starting to do this with Windows 10.

Before you go saying I'm a Mac fan, I'm going to tell you this, I've been using Windows since the 386 came out, I got bored after I learned the registry so I started using Mac in 2006 out of curiosity. Been using it ever since just because it is much more stable (no bluescreens), but I also have worked with other *nix based systems such as Unix, Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora/RHEL, and others. Installing Windows on a MacBook is child's play. It's when you put Ubuntu on a MacBook for the first time is when the pain gets real.

If you like the look of the MacBook but want Windows on it, why don't you just get an HP Envy, an Acer Aspire, or for gaming a Dell XPS? They are probably just as good and carry as much of a status as a MacBook.

mildocjr

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

I wouldn't say the parts are sub par, I've never had a critical hardware failure with one, but I agree the only real reason to buy a Mac is if you are doing anything with multimedia because the OS is great for editing videos, photos, or making music and not to mention it opens the doors for a very large customer base with app development. You can't write apps for iDevices on anything but Mac OS.

mildocjr

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

That's why most professional artists get the High-end MBP with the discrete graphics card or if they do well enough, they get a Mac Pro. Along side my custom build PC, I have a 27" iMac for music production and photo editing, the graphics card is just a 680mx but it get's the job done for photo and video editing. I tend to stay away from the Intel HD graphics although the 6000s will handle Bioshock Infinite @60 fps w/ max graphics on a 11" MBA.

I like Macs for photo editing because the OS is already calibrated for the display and it gives you a pure white, this is why a lot of graphics professionals choose Mac. It saves them about $1000 hiring a professional to calibrate their display.

alth0triplemadang

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
I like Macs for photo editing because the OS is already calibrated for the display and it gives you a pure white, this is why a lot of graphics professionals choose Mac. It saves them about $1000 hiring a professional to calibrate their display.

A crap graphic card coupled with amazing display :D
but a retina display is actually a IPS display

mildocjr

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

With a high contrast ratio

mildocjr

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

The command key is the Windows key on Windows. All buttons should map accordingly but if you want to have control over the backlit keyboard brightness, screen brightness, playback buttons, or volume buttons. That's when you'll need to download the Apple drivers.

On OS X the command key functions more like control.
Windows ctrl + c / ctrl + c
OS X is cmd + c / cmd + v

One more thing to note. I know that someone else said it is the same hardware, but I want to mention one thing, I updated my video drivers on my MacBook directly from nVidia once and it blue screened my system at boot. Had to safe boot and remove the newer drivers and install the one Apple supplied. There is nothing different between the two but Apple may tweak the firmware of the device to operate at lower requirements (such as voltage) without losing performance. For the most part installing drivers from the manufacturers website won't cause issues but there are times where you will wish that you didn't install that latest driver update.