How to get TV to play movie off of computer while using the desk top speakers as sound source.

Xavier_9

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
I wish to be able to connect my laptop and television so that i can play movies off the laptop and have them show up on the television; however I want the sound to come from the desktop speakers I have connected to my laptop. When using an Hdmi cable, the sound plays from the tv and that is something I wish to avoid because it is cheap and sounds bad. Does anyone know how to obtain the results I am looking for?

Solution
Right click the sound icon and go to playback devices. Set the speakers to default when everything is hooked up. It just auto changes when hdmi is plugged in and you can change it back. Many video players like vlc also have the option to change output device in its settings.

k1114

Distinguished
Right click the sound icon and go to playback devices. Set the speakers to default when everything is hooked up. It just auto changes when hdmi is plugged in and you can change it back. Many video players like vlc also have the option to change output device in its settings.

Solution