How to Hack Into a City's Power Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Not sure I'm liking these "How to break into stuff, and how to get to a website to buy peoples CC info" lately on here. They are just advertising different methods to different crowds of doing nefarious deeds.

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Nice article, it's always good to find out about as many methods as possible so one can take proper action to prevent them. No doubt social engineering is the weakest link when securing a company's network/information.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
That last paragraph was some Galactica level sh-t. Love it.
Not sure I'm liking these "How to break into stuff, and how to get to a website to buy peoples CC info" lately on here. They are just advertising different methods to different crowds of doing nefarious deeds.
Then show your boss. I'm not sure I like the truth about how fragile our protections systems are either. Unfortunately, its the truth. Time to fix it.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Foiled by the floppy disk. LOL Old-school FTW. The only thing more obscure now would be a ZIP disk. Unless they're talking about 5.25" floppy disks in which case color me impressed.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The more such vulnerabilities are highlighted the sooner those weak links are strengthened. All this leads to a better infrastructure safer from attacks.Each time a company hides its data breaches to safe public face = the attacker safer and more easily can move onto the next victim(s)Outing these issues publicly is the fastest way to securing those weaknesses on a broad scale :)

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Actually this is the oldest and most reliable to get access to a system. I've occasionally used social engineering when gaining legitimate access to a system would take to long (needing access to files for my work off a secured server, etc). I'm aware of a number of systems that transfer sensitive information in plaintext because they are isolated. The companies running these systems found that they had more breaches from people doing something stupid than the security actually being broken, it was more cost effective to train the people using the system than to try to make it impenetrable. People have been the weakest link for a long time, sadly few realize this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.