How to have sound come out my speakers thru my receiver (TV, DVD, etc)

pondenis

Honorable
May 12, 2014
I have a Yamaha RX-V659 receiver (no HDMI), old-school AR 10-pi speakers, and a TV with HDMI and various inputs and outputs. I was hoping to connect my DVD player to the receiver/speakers to get sound, but also have the option of going through the TV's built-in speakers if someone who doesn't understand needs to use it. Do I connect the DVD straight to the receiver, or do I connect the TV somehow to the receiver? I am not sure, all this new stuff, lol.

Solution
How you can connect them depends on what outputs your DVD has.
Option 1. Connect the DVD to the TV
Connect the TV audio out to the AVR.
You may have to turn the TV audio output on in the TV menu, You may have to turn the TV speakers off to get it
working. That would require you to turn the TV speakers on for someone else that doesn't use the AVR.
Option 2. Connect the DVD to the TV with HDMI.
Connect the audio output of the DVD to the receiver. DIgital audio would be preferred.
Connect the audio output of the TV to the receiver for any other sources you want to hear with the receiver
including the TV tuner or smart apps.
How you can connect them depends on what outputs your DVD has.
Option 1. Connect the DVD to the TV
Connect the TV audio out to the AVR.
You may have to turn the TV audio output on in the TV menu, You may have to turn the TV speakers off to get it
working. That would require you to turn the TV speakers on for someone else that doesn't use the AVR.
Option 2. Connect the DVD to the TV with HDMI.
Connect the audio output of the DVD to the receiver. DIgital audio would be preferred.
Connect the audio output of the TV to the receiver for any other sources you want to hear with the receiver
including the TV tuner or smart apps.

Solution