How to hookup surround system to rvk

David_517

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I'm trying to hook my surround sound system up. But my DVD player is basic af, so just curious as I don't have a receiver, is it still possible to Power my surround sound speakers with just the TV? If so how?

Solution
If you have speakers and a DVD player (not a DVD home theater system) then you will need a receiver. You can't connect passive speakers directly to a TV.
A used av receiver with digital inputs should work. Most TVs have an optical audio output. An older non HDMI but digital receiver will be way cheaper than one that has HDMI.
If your speakers don't have a self powered subwoofer you will need an amp to drive that as well. AV receivers don't have a built in amp for the subwoofer. The main unit from a home theater in a box system usually does.
If you have speakers and a DVD player (not a DVD home theater system) then you will need a receiver. You can't connect passive speakers directly to a TV.
A used av receiver with digital inputs should work. Most TVs have an optical audio output. An older non HDMI but digital receiver will be way cheaper than one that has HDMI.
If your speakers don't have a self powered subwoofer you will need an amp to drive that as well. AV receivers don't have a built in amp for the subwoofer. The main unit from a home theater in a box system usually does.

Solution