How To know if the laptop motherboard is good or no before buying

bassem99

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Guys, i have asked the seller about the laptop motherboard quality and he didn't know so iam wondering how 'd i judge the laptop motherboard quality before buying like the desktop one.

Solution
The vast majority of laptops sold in the market are manufactured by a small number of ODMs (Original Design Manufactures) under contract for various brands.

Some ODMs are as follows:
Foxconn
Elitegroup
Winston
Compal
Flextronic
Pegatron (a subdivision of Asus until 2008 when it was spun-off as a separate company)

They make make laptops for brand names like:
Asus
Dell
Lenovo
HP
Apple
Acer

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
What do you mean by quality?

Usually buying a laptop MB is reserved for replacing a laptop MB that has died, and normally there are no choices. You would buy the same model MB to replace the one that died.

bassem99

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Like ESD protection , Handling over voltage , heat dissipation , The maximum temperature it can handle , the heat pipes material for both gpu and cpu , the brand itself , etc.... , in addition it is a new laptop as my previous laptop had issues like overheat and several restarts and bad controllers for the fan bad heat pipes..

USAFRet

Illustrious

With a used device, there is no way to tell, until you buy and get it in your hands.
Especially if you ask first, and "he didn't know".

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Why would ESD protection matter for an internal component that's closed up in a laptop? Heat dissipation and heat pipes is based on the overall laptop design, not the motherboard. Max temperature it can handle is more based on which CPU/GPU is used. The brand would be whatever the laptop OEM is.

It sounds most of the concerns you have are related to the laptop as a whole. I don't know why you're focused on the motherboard specifically.

bassem99

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

is the brand of the motherboard the same brand of laptop or the processor ?

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
The brand of the motherboard will be the brand of whoever manufactured the laptop. In some cases this will be the actual brand on the laptop, but I believe some laptop makers just rebrand laptops made by another party. So in that case you'd have to find out who the actual manufacturer is to know who made the mobo. But again, why do you care? I've already explained why focusing on laptop motherboard doesn't make any sense.

The vast majority of laptops sold in the market are manufactured by a small number of ODMs (Original Design Manufactures) under contract for various brands.

Some ODMs are as follows:
Foxconn
Elitegroup
Winston
Compal
Flextronic
Pegatron (a subdivision of Asus until 2008 when it was spun-off as a separate company)

They make make laptops for brand names like:
Asus
Dell
Lenovo
HP
Apple
Acer

Solution