How to make an SD Card internal storage after it has been portable storage

Edward_112

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I have a number of SD Cards that I have used in other devices and are still in good working order (not corr maschmellowupted) how can I make these cards work as internal storage in my new devices which are marshmallow and nuguet.

Solution
First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making...
First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution

mail4eb

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017

mail4eb

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
By chance do you have a list of manufacturers that do not have this option restricted?
Do I just call support manufacturers to find out if this is restricted?

Almost all manufacturers seem to have done this on one or more of their phones. Since there is no guaranty that they will not change that in the future, I can only say some phones are restricted. Even ones that worked at one time have turned up restricted later (after updates). Also there is the legality of it. Can't say all of such and such company's phones have this, when they could have even one that doesn't. :)

You could try contacting them and asking. However can't say if you will get an honest or straight answer though.

Sep 16, 2018
i recently made my sd card as internal storage ad per the guidelines and after that i wiped out all the data from my phone by restoring it to factory setting. But now the sd card is not supported and whenever i try to do the same process again it is still the same that is not supported...can somebody help me