How To: Make Windows 8 Feel Like Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn450

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
While not confirmed, you might well be late with this article... "Microsoft said to block ability to boot straight to desktop in Windows 8":

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-said-to-block-ability-to-boot-straight-to-desktop-in-windows-8-7000002219/

G

It is confirmed and the author of this article is about 2 days behind. A number of other "hacks" have also been killed off.

Aragorn450

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
No, it's not fully confirmed yet because the final version of Windows 8 has not been released. Changes are still being made. Once the final version is released then we'll see...

xartion

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
is better than any of the third party apps listed in this article and it allows you to boot directly to the desktop. Not sure why it's not mentioned

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Seriously.. wtf?

"Take, for example, shutting down your computer. In Windows 7, this could be achieved in two clicks of the mouse."

You're already doing it wrong. Just push the power button and it will shutdown (if all goes well). Otherwise mousing to shutdown is silly, tap start menu button and quickly navigate to shutdown/sleep/restart etc with u/u or u/s u/r or the arrow keys (for Windows 7) and the preferred selection which takes less than a second. Wondering if there's more stuff like this in the rest of this article.

Aragorn450

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
If you've got a desktop computer, pushing the power button might be a bit more difficult than "just pressing it". Mine for instance is hidden away, so I don't have easy access to the power button...

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Indeed. I hate trying to locate mine because I feel like Alice in front of the rabbit hole (it is under a 'table' and I have to lean over dangerously to press it). But I meant for things like laptops and all-in-ones.

Which is why tapping start and arrow keys (for desktops) is much faster than trying to mouse for the start button and shutdown options on a high resolution desktop.

G

How about just sticking with Win7/Vista/XP and avoid Win8?

Win8 will be a spectacular flop. Trust me.

Only this time, Windows is flopping simultaneously on many fronts: enterprise, home users, phones, tablets, app store.

The upcoming months will be disastrous time for Microsoft shareholders.

davec80

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Windows 8 isn't even released yet and there's already an article all about how to make it "feel like windows 7"??? I could sum up the best plan in a few words. Stick with Windows 7. Done!

G

All this talk about windows 8 is just crazy and I honestly think so many people that call themselves power users need to rethink that. Are we really judging an OS because of the shutdown process? Really come on. For one thing to shutdown win8 just press the windows key +i and then power, we are talking about 2 seconds.
And the so called “Metro Interface” windows 8 style user interface is the thing that most people I show windows 8 to is in love with. I have installed windows 8 on three computers in the Philippines and just watch how people used it. And not one person said they want windows 7 back. So if what I am reading here and on other sites is true and people can’t learn windows 8 that is just so sad that these people call themselves power users.
P.S. I have shown well over 50 people how to use windows 8 here and overseas .

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i guess i'll use win8 just purely for content consumption like how i use Vista now, and stick to my win7 for more productive work related stuffs.

greycoat

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Looking at the Long Term...

I hope Windows 8 fails big time and I'm a Windows user. Why would I want to see it fail? Because I'm tired of being "nudged" like sheep being herded to go where I don't want to go. Furthermore, I see this as merely a transitioning point in Microsoft's longer term agenda and/or plan to tighten down the computer for eventual Windows use only. Oh yes in Windows 8 there will be a work around for people who want to install another OS like Linux, but eventually that will phased out in later versions of Windows that come installed on PC's. Microsoft is moving in the direction of a "closed garden" app store. Oh in this version of Windows 8 you'll be able to install programs that do not come via the Microsoft store, but in time that too will be phased out in later versions as Windows. Microsoft know they can't throw the "frog" into boiling water for the "frog" will jump out, but they can put the "frog" in cool water and turn the temperature up slowly eventually cooking the frog. In time Microsoft will nudge us to the point that only Windows can be installed on a Windows PC and if you want software you'll have to go through them and their Microsoft app store. They can't get a cut of software revenue for an app or program sold independently of their app store and they are planning to change that in time. That will only drive me to fully embrace Linux or BSD. It's my PC machine and the software I want to put on my PC comes from where I want to buy it and not from where Microsoft tells me I must buy it as they take their cut. I also note that cut will just increase my overall software costs, because it will be passed on to the consumer like taxes are passed onto the consumer as a cost of doing business. Step back and look longterm. The direction I believe Microsoft is heading is not the direction or destination in which I want to go. My opinion...

I'm sticking with my Microsoft Vista and when I upgrade it will be to Windows 7. If Windows 9 is a further move towards a closed system, i.e. closed garden, where all your software must come through Microsoft, then I'm moving to Linux. Microsoft wants to nudge us all towards using our computers as a Windows closed box and Xbox for our games. Valve has a legitimate concern as do all game "manufacturers"/programmers with Microsoft's future transitioning anti-competitive agenda.

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I love all this sky is falling, I'm gonna run to an OS that is so difficult to use and has such little support that they can't even capture marketshare by giving it away for free, stuff.

The Windows Store is for Metro apps, guys. It's for mobile devices. The reason it's on the desktop version is because they're consolidating the OS making it the same on all devices. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy metro apps, noone is forcing developers to create metro apps. Normal Windows software will still exist, normal games will still exist. Just because they've chosen to compete with Apple in the mobile OS sphere doesn't mean they're going to start doing the same in the desktop sphere. They don't NEED to compete with Apple in the desktop sphere. Apple lost that battle many, many, many moons ago.

If you even for one second that Microsoft is going to abandon it's enterprise OS market just so they can sell a few craptastic mobile phone apps in their store, you're either slow or not paying attention.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
@super, you may be ignoring hardware partners who have already been jumping ship (if the biggest isn't HP). And others that have just short of called out Microsoft on their current train wreck (lack of vision).

The more MS pushes a UI that is difficult for users to adapt to and software developers (games and productivity) to support, they too will jump ship by favoring general purpose Linux flavors or proprietary operating systems.

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
[citation][nom]alxianthelast[/nom]@super, you may be ignoring hardware partners who have already been jumping ship (if the biggest isn't HP). And others that have just short of called out Microsoft on their current train wreck (lack of vision). The more MS pushes a UI that is difficult for users to adapt to and software developers (games and productivity) to support, they too will jump ship by favoring general purpose Linux flavors or proprietary operating systems.[/citation]

Hogwash. All of it.

OEMs have not jumped ship on Windows 8 for PCs. A couple of TABLET OEMs have expressed displeasure at the Surface, but that has nothing to do with Windows 8, that is only because they know that MS will be able to undercut them on price because they don't have to shell out $100 per tablet to pre-install it. HP has definitely not done anything of the sort. They are planning a Windows 8 tablet as well as a full line of PCs. You require sources for your "information".

Metro is not difficult to adapt to. If you find it so, that's a personal problem, not a usability problem. Developers will not have to support Metro if they don't want to, so there nothing for them to adapt to. Also, where do you get your information that Metro is difficult to develop for? I've seen nothing to support that claim anywhere. Again, sources.

Lastly, if you think people are going to be upset because of the non-existent usability issues with Windows 8, why on God's green Earth do you think they would move over to Linux of all things? That's not a lateral shift, my friend. That's going from using Windows 7 to trying to surf the internet on a rabid bear while trying to ride a unicycle over the grand canyon. Linux is about as mainstream user friendly as a nuclear reactor. The thought that Grandpa is going to throw up his hands because he can't master the windows key, or the scroll wheel on his mouse and install Ubuntu is ludicrous at best.

The only people I have seen complain about Metro are pseudo "power users" who can't even navigate Windows 7 without a mouse, and since those people are the same people who had a third grade tantrum about Windows XP when it was first released and 2 years afterwards were calling it the greatest thing since sliced bread, I don't think their opinions are worth too much.

davec80

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
In reply to:
"Linux is about as mainstream user friendly as a nuclear reactor."

I don't know where you've been in say, the last decade or so...
But many modern linux distributions are MORE user-friendly than Windows ever could be. I'm comparing (for example) ubuntu to (for example) Windows 7.

In most cases, installing and configuring linux is not only easier but MUCH, much faster than installing windows. And I'm talking about total installation, including all appropriate drivers and applications.

If Microsoft wants to retain market share dominance, Microsoft should take notes from some of the linux distros in how to make an operating system user friendly.

I will give you this much though...your ignorance of linux is typical and FOR THAT SPECIFIC REASON linux is not likely to put a dent in Microsoft's OS market share anytime soon. It is the unfortunate (and WRONG, thoroughly OUTDATED) *perception* that linux is hard to use that is holding linux back.

Full disclosure...I'm currently using windows 7 exclusively. Nothing wrong with linux, I just happen to *like* windows 7. And for all of linux's merits, there is still no Microsoft Word port to linux. And no, the various office suite copycats just don't cut it...

Status
Not open for further replies.