How to move apps to your SD card, or set the SD card as the default download location

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsguideUS

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
Here are 3 tutorials we have up that provide a few methods to help you make the most of your SD card

The writers at Tom's Guide also have a little how-to that instructs you on how to move your apps to your SD card

Some things to note

Please understand that not all apps can be moved to your SD card. Some apps must be run on your internal storage in order to function.

In addition, as of Android 4.0, official SD card support was removed from Android devices. What this means is that any device running Android 4.0+ has varying degrees of compatibility when it comes to moving apps to your SD card, ranging from partial transfers to no transfers at all.

If your device is running Android 4.x or 5.x, it is very likely that you will not be able to move apps to your SD card. There are apps in the Play Store that can do this, but the vast majority of them require your device to be rooted.

This feature is returned (in a way) in Android 6.0+ in the form of adoptable storage. It functions by essentially turning your SD card into an extension of your internal storage; its capacity is added to your internal storage. There is no separation of internal and SD card here. For more information on this, please refer to the Android documentation for it.

kaybee5x

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from kaybee5x : "How to move apps to external storage"

I have the metro pcs Lg optimus ms323 l70 rooted with kingroot and supersu...

MiMi2k15

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from MiMi2k15 : "How do I set my default location to my sd card for the bush spira b1 5" smartphone?"

I have recently acquired a new 32gb SD card and I want to move my apps to it and set it as my default download spot but I literally have no idea how to do it. Please I really need some help right now...

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Mamahooper : "Move to SD card"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Katerina_3 : "cannot move some of my apps to sd card"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from gwensar : "Set SD card as default for Samsung Galaxy j5"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Levi__ : "I can't get any of the movable apps to move to my SD card it's just not giving me the option I have a big enough SD card I'm r"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Kyranlis : "How do I set the default download of apps to my sd card on my Galaxy Grand prime?"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from frankie_5 : "how to set SD card as default download location"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from LaxerFL : "Installing apps to SD card on TMobile ZTE Obsidian (z820)"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from mike_173 : "how do I make my SD card as default storage"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from mahagoni : "How to set default download location to SD card on Samsung Duos"

SakshamG

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from SakshamG : "How can i install big games on SD card and not internal storage on Android"

I want to download Nova 3:Freedom Edition but its is of 1.59GB and my internal storage space is only 100mb and my sd card has 5GB free space.Plz tell how can i download that game

Col8b_

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Col8b_ : "How to move an app fully to the SD card on Samsung S5"

How to move the whole app to sdcard on Samsung S5? For example, I have the PVZ2 game, that occupies about 700 MB. When I move it to SD card, it occupies about 30 MB on the card, the rest remains on the phone. How to move the app fully to the card? Im running out of space, so I need the apps to be moved to the card, but for some reason they still occupy the most of the space on the phone. Thx for advice

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Daltonized4life : "How to move apps to my sd card but still be able to use them"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Josephunsoah : "Samsung 3 mini. How do i change installation to sd card?"

Samriddhi

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Samriddhi : "External sd card"

How to set my external sd card as a default to download apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.