How to pass through video from soundbar to projector without ARC

Oct 11, 2018
I will have this setup, all connected via HDMI (Amazon Basics):
laptop - LG SK10Y soundbar - Dell 1610HD projector
I'm trying to have the sound output via the soundbar, and the video signal passed through on to the projector. The projector only has one HDMI input (non- ARC), but in theory that shouldn't make a difference because I don't want the projector to act as an audio source. Is my understanding correct?
I currently have a Vizio SB4031-D5 soundbar that has HDMI in (connected to laptop) and out (ARC, connected to projector) ports, but the projector doesn't receive an input when connected as described above.

Oct 11, 2018

I must use Atmos, so I need to go through HDMI.

Since the soundbar doesn't support Atmos you dont have to use HDMI.
However the soundbar should work if connect the laptop to the HDMI input and select HDMI as the source on the soundbar. Try a different cable from the soundbar to the projector. Just because that cable works when you connect it directly to the laptop doesn't mean it will work when used from the soundbar. HDMI interacts like that.
Plan B would be to use an HDMI input selector with audio extraction.

10basetom

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
What you need is an HDMI audio extractor like the one from J-Tech (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIQER0E/). Let's assume you got the J-Tech: you'd run the video source to the J-Tech's HDMI in, the J-Tech's HDMI OUT to the projector's HDMI IN, and the J-Tech's SPDIF OUT to the soundbar's SPDIF IN.