How to place 2.0 speakers for the best effect?

mello741

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
Hello everyone. Few weeks ago I bought Microlab Solo9C 2.0 Speakers. Everything is good and I really like them except that I don't know what's the best place to keep them and which height is the most optimal. It would be great if you could help me with that. I made a picture with my room model and few photos so you can see how everything looks.

My goal is to get the best sound while sitting near the "MY TABLE".

XQWl8zA.jpg

Solution
Speakers usually sound the best when the mid-range and tweeters are around ear level and directed towards you.

Speaker #1 would benefit from a speaker stand or shelf to elevate it. Speaker #2 could possible benefit if it were angled down a little to help direct the sound to listening position.

There are other options if this is not possible as hanging them from the ceiling and aiming them down towards you. These could even be hung in the corners of the window side of the room but far enough out to not be in the way of drapes.

You just need to make sure to use strong hooks firmly fixed in wall or ceiling stud.

See picture in link:
http://

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Looks more like a couch then a bed.

Edit: you might want to get your computer's displays checked out I'm pretty sure that isn't normal. :p

As Traciatim said below its best if they are at the same height and same distances away.

Traciatim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Personally, I would swap 'my table' and 'bed' so that you can have open wall on either side of the desk and just put the speakers at even distances from your listening position at the same height on stands. It's kind of a bad space for having even audio.

mello741

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014

I can't do that because this is actually bed (looks like coach but it expands into a bed) and if I swap them, the bed would block the cupboard when expanded. Also, it wouldn't look nice because the bed side that is pointed to the window is black.

What if I put the speakers on my table? I could place then in the same height and the distance would be even. The one problem I could think is that the speakers would be pretty close to me. Could the small distance cause problems for listening quality?

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

I would think not but I am not an expert, just don't have the volume super high

tomc53

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
Assuming that your listening position is on the bed, my thought is to put one speaker on the shelf above or next to the yellow trunk, and the other on the bookshelf the other side of the door. Putting them the same height would be ideal but at that distance, even a couple of feet would be acceptible. The orientation is not even essential, you could lay one down if needed. In fact one could be upside down, if that keeps the tweeters closer to the same level. It is more important to have direct line of sight to the tweeters. If you are just using it for 'background music', the placement is even less critical. This layout would work reasonable well for listening from "My Table".

Keep in mind that if you have to add length to the wires to use heavy enough wire:

dist(ft/m) . gauge
10/3 . . . . . 22-24
25/8 . . . . . 18-20
50/15 . . . . 14-16
>50. . . . . . 12

if they are for computer use then they should be to the left and right of the computer screen preferably sitting on the desk. you wouldnt be the only person to have bookshelf speakers this close. i dont use bookshelves (i have satelites, you can see in my signature photos) that sit right in front of me for my own system.

if they are for use as a stereo system then wall mounting them up in the corners on either side of the window with wall mounts would fill the room with sound pretty good. so would placing them up in the corners above the bed and comptuter desk. both locations wouldnt work for pc audio though.

your desk really isnt set up for such speakers. it is far too small. if you could manage to fit the shelving and wardrobe on the same wall as the bed you could perhaps fit a wider and larger desk on the wall to the right of the door. this would allow you to put the speakers wider and give you some arm room. otherwise the speakers will be crowding you.

as you have the speakers now... they arent ideal for pc audio (way too high up) and arent really great for room audio either (too close and wrong angles)

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Speakers usually sound the best when the mid-range and tweeters are around ear level and directed towards you.

Speaker #1 would benefit from a speaker stand or shelf to elevate it. Speaker #2 could possible benefit if it were angled down a little to help direct the sound to listening position.

There are other options if this is not possible as hanging them from the ceiling and aiming them down towards you. These could even be hung in the corners of the window side of the room but far enough out to not be in the way of drapes.

You just need to make sure to use strong hooks firmly fixed in wall or ceiling stud.

See picture in link:
http://

Solution

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
as said, if your listening from your desk and looking at your monitor, put them either side of your monitor, or wall mount them if possible behind the monitor/desk area. Ideally you probably want them 30-45 degrees either side of your listening position, at ear level of your listening position, or at the least angled and directed toward your ear level. I would say just move them around your room and try a few things and see what sounds best. speakers can lack bass when positioned in certaion ways, the room has an effect on this, so good idea to try different positions.