How to reboot Asus laptop with with black screen with power cord plugged in

Hannah_13

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
My Asus hasn't worked without the power cable being plugged in for a long time. Now suddenly it's doing the lights on but black screen combination that I have read so much about - however I can't follow the usual advice of taking out the power cord and putting a pin i the small integrated battery hole in the back because without the power cable being plugged in there's no power in the laptop anyway...

Any alternative suggestions please? Thanks

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution

opmak

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017

So what your telling me is since my laptop wants to suddenly not work I gotta spend more money to fix it