How To Remove AD Popup VIRUS When Windows Starts Up?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
(I DON'T SUPPORT PIRACY)

I'll just get straight to the point, there was a game I hadn't played in years from like when I was 9 years old and I couldn't seem to find it on any of the digital stores.. so I went to a download free site in hopes of finding it. I found it and saw a load of people wrote in the comments that it was working great and nothing wrong (over 75 people upvoted as opposed to the 0 who downvoted). ..anyway I downloaded it feeling pretty safe and now every time windows starts a chrome browser opens with some russian website even after uninstalling the game. It's driving me crazy! I haven't seen any pc slow-down or problems yet apart from that ad!

Some may say it's karma for downloading a 10 year old game but honestly I just want some help from you guys on tom's hardware to return my pc to it's former clean virus-free self.

Thanks in advance! :)

(Oh and Malwarebytes found no detections :( )

aks_1337

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
Firstly:

Start > Run > type: msconfig
Go to the "Start up" tab and disable all programs that are displayed here (with exception of anti-virus) & reboot PC

Secondly:
Download a program called rkill from the link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

Run the program as Admin, it will temporarily kill any malicious processes running on your machine & reset a few broken things.. *DO NOT reboot PC yet*

Thirdly:
Download AdwCleaner from the following link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Run a scan as Admin, scan and remove everything it finds & now reboot your PC

Fourthly (continue if problem hasn't been solved):
Download HitmanPro for your PC using link below:
http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

Excellent second opinion cloud scanner, run as trial and do a scan, remove anything it finds and reboot PC

Fifthly (continue if problem hasn't been solved):
Reset your HOSTS file, might be redirections in there.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

I did everything up to resetting my HOSTS (haven't done that yet).. hitman pro found a few things that I thought was the problem.. cookies called "MLN advertising" etc.. Turned my pc back on after the reboot and the problem is still there :(

How do I reset my HOSTS file and will I lose anything important?

lfkfkfkffs

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
If you don't have anything important I would just repave and format and install the os again. They most likely changed some registry values, so no matter how many times you delete/change stuff the registry will bring it back up. You could change the registry where it got messed up, but that can be hard without know what messed it up in the first place. So just wipe once, unless you ate taco bell, and install the os again.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

I had just formatted my drive about 2 moths ago because of new hardware and lost everything :(
My PC is full of stuff I need for editing/photoshop.. like plugins,images,etc.. and my second drive isn't really big enough unfortunately :(
Luckily I just got a copy of Windows 8.1 off a friend so would you recommend I use that instead of my current windows 7 Ultimate? :eek:

Oh and is this virus likely causing damage to my hardware or is it just ads? because I was thinking about maybe finishing all my editing sony vegas projects before I format the drive so that I can clear up some space?/

lfkfkfkffs

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
I think one thing that you could try is just uninstalling chrome, and then try switching to firefox. The ad thing might only target chrome. Again I don't really think we are dealing with a virus, just something simple like a check box when you installed the torrent or game that installed some extra junk, and edited your registry making it hard to pin point both the file, and the registry for it. As for the windows 7 ultimate if you have the key you can use that key to install it again. Windows 8.1 unless it is pro or higher will be limited to 16 gigs of ram depending on which one you have. if you have the bandwith you could probably upload your files to a cloud overnight while you are asleep. then reformat in the morning if nothing else is working. I use http://www.adrive.com/personal_premium You get 50gigs for free, or for like $2.50 a month you get 10tb of space. I would just upload there, then transfer back and remove the stuff from your account.

melissa644

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
can you please tell it to me when you have a solution? I have the same problem now and it's driving me crazy. everywhere I click I get this stupid add. I can't even check my social network. since i've tried to delete it I've got everytime i click, no matter what I do, I go to an other site. please help me, this is the only way I could communicate.

deanjo16

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015

Capture.JPG

Go to run>msconfig>startup tab. Expand the command column and scroll down to see the russian game website under the command column. Mine was called some zivlingamer or gamezonenews if that helps. The name of the startup thing will be hidden under some Microsoft Operating System Software or something. I had the same problem. Hope yours gets solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS