How to restore my laptop's performance to its original state? Factory reset did not speed things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymanh

Commendable
May 30, 2016
(2011 Dell XPS 15 L502X, Core i5, 4GB ram, 7200rpm HD, 1GB Nvidia graphics, Win 7)

I have done a complete factory restore, but it is still slow when doing simple things like loading Word, or when I click on the home button it takes a second or two to load, and when I hover the mouse over the menus it takes a couple of seconds to react. Its not how I remember it when it was new, despite having done a complete factory reset and also installed all new updates. Why is this? And how can I get the performance back?

Solution

Download Prime95, run the stress test (blended is fine) with HWMonitor open, see how hot the CPU gets. As above, slowness after a clean Windows setup is often a failing hard drive, which means replacing and a clean Windows setup. You can also clone your existing drive over.
Hi,

Since you've already did a factory reset then the problem may lie with the HDD of your laptop. If you have a spare HDD, do try it with your laptop and see if the same problem will persist or not. If the same problem will persist with a different HDD that could be a problem with the temperature of the laptop. Do open it and clean the fans from dust and apply new thermal paste as well on the CPU and GPU.

raymanh

Commendable
May 30, 2016
I've downloaded a program (CPUID HW monitor) to see the temps of various components, and currently my CPU and HDD are sitting at 60 C (143 F) and 52 C (125 F) respectively whilst browsing Chrome with 7 or 8 tabs open. Task manager says my CPU usage is about 15% and RAM usage is 2.4GB. The fan is on about 80% of the time. Is this normal, or a sign of overheating; that I should give it a clean?

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
CrystalDiskInfo is a free program that will check the health of your hard drive. It wouldn't hurt to blow dust out of your heat sink & fan using compressed air (with the laptop turned off).

Download Prime95, run the stress test (blended is fine) with HWMonitor open, see how hot the CPU gets. As above, slowness after a clean Windows setup is often a failing hard drive, which means replacing and a clean Windows setup. You can also clone your existing drive over.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.