How to set up 12 inch lightning audio subs and amp to a home stereo and what to use to power them

Jun 11, 2018
I've got a LG Bluetooth home stereo and just got lightning audio 12 inch subs with amp,really would appreciate any help I could get

Solution
it sounds like you have the LG CM4550 or similar, and your connections to the speakers and sub looks something like this

as americanaudiophile mentioned, it is probably best to disassemble that sub and take a look inside to be sure if it's passive or not (probably so)

If it is passive, that is a high-level output. I would trace that cable to the speaker and get the proper +/- labeled for phase and use that as your new "LFE" output. The line converter (something like this) and use the + on the sub for the L and R input on the converter then use the RCA outputs to connect to your new sub amp.

How you wire up the amp depends on what amp you have and how many subs you have, I am using a mono sub amp with a dual-coil...
If LG comes with a wired self powered subwoofer then your amp/sub combination connects instead of the original one.
If the LG comes with a passive subwoofer then you would need a speaker to line level converter to connect to the amp/sub.
If the LG doesn't have a subwoofer you will need the converter above connected in parallel with the speakers and a crossover to remove higher frequencies from the input to the amp/sub if the amp doesn't have one built in already.

Jun 11, 2018
There subs are in a a box with something on the top I tried to plug the subs themself into the back of stereo but it's mainly just bass not as much as supposed to be plus you can barely hear audio through them

Jun 11, 2018
Plus the sub that comes with LG stereo just goes straight in the back and it's not stripped like the subs are and can't figure out a way to plug the amp in too

it sounds like you have the LG CM4550 or similar, and your connections to the speakers and sub looks something like this

as americanaudiophile mentioned, it is probably best to disassemble that sub and take a look inside to be sure if it's passive or not (probably so)

If it is passive, that is a high-level output. I would trace that cable to the speaker and get the proper +/- labeled for phase and use that as your new "LFE" output. The line converter (something like this) and use the + on the sub for the L and R input on the converter then use the RCA outputs to connect to your new sub amp.

How you wire up the amp depends on what amp you have and how many subs you have, I am using a mono sub amp with a dual-coil passive sub wired in series to get 8-ohm load and using an old 300W PC power supply to get about 200W of +12v into the amp. works very well with my Onkyo 65W/channel 5.1 AVR (the LFE output is input to my sub amp).

Solution