How To Setup Remote Play On Your Laptop

HwrKerx.jpg

With the introduction of Sony’s Remote Play to the PC we can now stream PS4™ gameplay onto a Windows equipped laptop or a Mac. If you meet the requirements to installing Remote Play onto your laptop but don’t know how to move forward then this tutorial will show you how.

1. Go to the site for Sony's Remote Play app and download the version of the Remote Play app that caters to your platform/laptop on which you want to stream your gameplay. At the time of this writing the downloadable executables are located at the top of the screen.
lQw9BcI.jpg

Run the installer in an elevated command or double click the installer to initiate the installation procedure clicking next as you go.

You’re now going to need to prepare your PS4™.
2. If you have multiple PS4’s in your household you should have one of your PS4 activated as the Primary Console. To do this, power up your PS4>navigate to Settings>PlayStation Network and Account Management>Activate as my Primary PS4.

If you have one PS4 console in your entire household/environment then you can skip step 2.

3. Check to see if Remote Play is enabled. Go into PlayStation 4’s Settings screen>Remote Play Connection Settings> make sure that the check for Enable Remote Play is present. You will now need to have the PS4 in rest mode or powered up In order for you to access the games via the network and stream to your laptop.
x2Vq7A7.jpg

4. Enable Rest Mode. It should be enabled by default but you can verify by going to Settings>Power Save Settings>Set Features Available in Rest Mode. Here you should see that the Enable Turing On PS4 from Network is checked. If not, check it to enable the feature.
88hC5P8.jpg

5. Now that you’ve prepped your PS4, you can now open up the Remote Play app on your laptop. It’s best practice to configure the app via clicking on Settings (on the lower left hand corner). Here you’ll be able to set your resolution to 1080p (provided you own a PS4 Pro and you have at least an i5-2450M on your laptop) but the standard is 720p. You can likewise change the frame rate from standard to high. High will mean you get the 60FPS experience but it will strain your network and it also negates the PS4’s ability to record gameplay. To begin with Standard will put less stress on your network and If necessary you can change it if you so desire.

6. Connect your DUALSHOCK™4 controller to your laptop. Either use the (official) DUALSHOCK™4 wireless USB adapter or a micro-USB to USB cable and plug it into an available USB port on your laptop. If you’re trying to pair wirelessly, hold down the Share button and the circular PlayStation button on your DUALSHOCK™4 controller until your controller’s light bar begins to flash then plug the USB adapter into your USB port and hold it down as though you were pushing down on it for 3 seconds. You should now be paired wirelessly.

7. Back on to the Remote Play app’s window/main screen you should see Start. Click on it. You should now be asked to log-in to your PlayStation Network. Once your laptop finds your primary activated PS4 it should take you to the PS4’s home screen. This is actually your PS4 being streamed from the console to your laptop. The fun part in this is that you can use your laptop’s mic and keyboard to chat with friends and/or type text messages.

8. Power down the PS4. If you’re needing to go out and would like to set down the controller (and your gaming session), all you need to do is hold down the PlayStation Button on the DUALSHOCK ™4 controller>go to Power>Enter Rest Mode and it will send your PS4 into Sleep and end the connection.

If you find that you can’t get the PS4 out of Rest mode you may want to try and connect your DUALSHOCK™4 controller via the micro-USB to USB cable and see if that helps.

Hopefully you’ve followed through this tutorial and have managed to immerse yourself with gameplay from your PS4.

Feb 13, 2019
I recently found a simple way to connect PS4 to my laptop but need to pay a little. I searched on google and found a video capture dongle called ClonerAlliance Chert 4KC, which is plug and play with an HDMI to USB 3.0 connection. Since I am a lazy guy, so I used it without any other settings. It worked for me!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffroberts