How to show TIME/DATE from mini DV to PC

edywen

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi,
My name is Edy. I was wondering, how can I transfer from miniDV to PC and also display time and date in the transferred file? (time and date were recorded while taping)

Solution
You will need a Firewire port to connect the miniDV to the PC. A few PC computers have them. If yours does not you can buy an add-on card with a Firewire port. It can be done via USB but you'll get very poor quality video and sound. Search for "computer capture mini dv"

It's not clear what you mean by "displaying" the date and time. If you mean displaying while the video plays, you'll need to edit the video if it wasn't set to show that info while recording. If you mean to display the date and time of the file, i.e. looking at a directory listing of the files, you can get a utility to change the file date and/or time.

thx1138v2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
You will need a Firewire port to connect the miniDV to the PC. A few PC computers have them. If yours does not you can buy an add-on card with a Firewire port. It can be done via USB but you'll get very poor quality video and sound. Search for "computer capture mini dv"

It's not clear what you mean by "displaying" the date and time. If you mean displaying while the video plays, you'll need to edit the video if it wasn't set to show that info while recording. If you mean to display the date and time of the file, i.e. looking at a directory listing of the files, you can get a utility to change the file date and/or time.

Solution

edywen

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
thank you for your reply..
yes, sorry i was not clear about what i meant.
while taping, i set the date and date to be recorded as well. so i know when and what time the event took place.
and now, when i transfer miniDV to PC, i like that time and date to be "printed" on the file as well, so i still know when and what time the event took place for future reference.
i saw many many clips from youtube that have date/time display... you saw it too right?

so i was just wondering, how to do that..
thank you...

das_stig

Distinguished
If the date and time option is enabled on the camera, it should be hard coded in the video stream.

The file will be stamped with the date and time it was created or last edited.

What he said above for transferring.

edywen

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Yes Kenrivers, the camcorder set to display date and time while recording and time/date was tagged along while tapping... the camcorder was old JVC miniDV camcorder Model GR-D820E