How to speed up Windows 10

jack63ss

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
The steps given in the article are a good start:

1 - Restart - Use Task Scheduler to run shutdown /s at about 3am every 3 days
2 - Check for Updates - I have it configured to notify but not automatically install updates
3 - Disable startup apps - ABSOLUTELY disable ones you don't need (I have 5 enabled and 21 disabled)
4 - Clean up your disk - Should probably run this once a week
5 - Uninstall software you don't need - DEFINITELY remove stuff you will never use, BUT BE CAREFUL, as some of these are actually system applications
6 - Disable effects - I don't really use them anyway
7 - Run system maintenance - By default runs once a day at 2am, or "the next time the computer is not being used"
8 - Upgrade to an SSD - BEST CHOICE, but $$ - My laptop has an SSD & an HD, so the OS boots up really fast

However, if you are an Advanced Windows user and feel confident, or are looking for adventure try this:

It is possible to stop, or disable, some unnecessary System Services as well. I'll preface this first by saying, unless you are a fairly advanced user do NOT try the following, as you could easily get your system into a state where something would not work or even worse, totally hose your system.

First start windows in Safe Mode and note what Apps and Background Processes are started. Then restart Windows normally, check again, and make a list of what is running now that it was not in Safe Mode. Some of these processes are probably important, but some, like Adobe Acrobat Update Service, are not. The easiest way to stop these from running is using the Windows Services app. Type Services in the Search box and start the Services app (services.msc). Once it starts you should see the Services(Local) window with a list of all the Services available, running or not. Click on Status in the header bar until it shows Status=Running and Startup_Type=Automatic. Then find the Service you want to change and double-click on it. In General tab of the dialog box, click Stop to stop the service, and then change Startup Type to Manual (if you try this an the service still starts try using Disabled instead). Click on Okay and you should be done. Important: Make a note of what you changed, as if things go bad you may need to undo some of the changes. And as I said, BE VERY CAREFUL what you change, as you can cripple your system. When in doubt, DON'T CHANGE IT.

Good Luck !