Solved! How to stop an HP 620 Overheating?

al92

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I've got an HP 620 laptop that occasionally shuts down due to overheating. Does anyone know if there's anything I could do to try and reduce or resolve this?

Thanks!

Solution
First- try to clean out the exhaust fan(s) with some compressed air. Make sure to turn off the computer first! (i also saw somewhere that you should stick a small toothpick slightly in the vent to prevent the fan from spinning as you blow the air in).

next - you could either lift the back of the laptop off the desk with something like a notebook (idea is to get more fresh air under the laptop), or buy a laptop cooler (basically a stand with a fan underneath blowing fresh air up to the laptop's intake)

Lastly- you could TRY to redo the thermal paste on the cooler but this is a whole process

hdmark

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
First- try to clean out the exhaust fan(s) with some compressed air. Make sure to turn off the computer first! (i also saw somewhere that you should stick a small toothpick slightly in the vent to prevent the fan from spinning as you blow the air in).

next - you could either lift the back of the laptop off the desk with something like a notebook (idea is to get more fresh air under the laptop), or buy a laptop cooler (basically a stand with a fan underneath blowing fresh air up to the laptop's intake)

Lastly- you could TRY to redo the thermal paste on the cooler but this is a whole process

Solution

al92

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

Cheers - will try those!