How to Store and Stream Movies with Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I never heard of plex. I think this article is great. Question can I use it to add permissions? I don't want the kids watching the R movies on their iPods.

Ashafiq3

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Plex is simply amazing, it's pretty self explanatory in terms of setting it up. Only problems I ever ran into were if I had some port issues. I've been using plex media server since november 2012 and it just keeps getting better. Even worth to get the PLex Pass

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
PLEX is nice, I use it on my 36TB server, but there are a lot of limitations. It was made from XBMC which alone still has a few issues but other things are fixed. PLEX fell off this. One example is .ISO files, XBMC can handle them nicely. Still need to work on forced subtitles but other then that they play well. PLEX, no. Videos need to be in the acceptable formats of which there are many, but no .ISO support. My one big complaint.

Other gotcha, if you want to do stuff within your network, XBMC is all you really need. To stream it outside your network, that's where PLEX comes in. And the only big kid filter would be the parental setup of which I haven't messed with yet (will be soon and have been looking deeper into this, but that seems the only solution which isn't a great one but...). You also need to check your ISP's upload speed. If you want to stream HD out through your cheap ISP, it's not likely going to happen. Even my TWC 30/5M connection really can only do so-so transcoding. But that's also TWC... However, 1M/sec is great for most phones for example and can be handled even through 3G (though make sure you have an unlimited or big data plan).

For music though, I prefer Subsonic. That's just me.

Techguru99

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
I've been using StoAmigo for this exact same thing, it's just as good as Plex but it offers a lot of permission controls...they even have this device called CloudLocker which sorta works like an NAS/Cloud hybrid. I haven't used it yet but my friend swears by it.

jiBYoNZ

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Definitely worth it, I have it setup on a server in my house and all the smart tvs have the app on them, all the Xbox's and PlayStations have the app, all the cellphones and tablets have the app... It is too easy. I bought into the life time Plex pass early cause as far as I'm concerned it is worth more and would not be surprised if it went up in the future.

Also sync is awesome for me, I can sync stuff to my devices (laptop, cell phone, tablet) to take to work with me to watch. Once it is back on the wifi it will delete what episodes you have watched and download the next ones you haven't. You can setup how much space you will allow plex to use and how many episodes of what series to sync.

It also remembers exactly where every user left off on anything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.