How to unlock iPhone 5 from Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxaamxx135

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
So my friend's aunt got the new iPhone 5s and my friend already has a 5c so he sold me his aunts old iPhone 5. It was originally on Sprint and I am on Verizon. Is there any way to unlock it yet so that I can use it on Verizon? The Verizon employees told me they would only activate it on their network if I get it unlocked first. The iPhone is currently on iOS 7.0.4 and I don't have a nano sim.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I don't think you can, Sprint and Verizon use two different network technologies. You might get lucky if its an international version but you need a Sim Card slot for it to work on Verizon or AT&T.

xxaamxx135

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Verizon and Sprint both use the same technologies, CDMA. They contain the same exact hardware haha

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Yes but the phones underlying software (think of a PCs BIOS) can be locked to a certain carrier. By changing those settings the phone can be used on any carrier.

HOWEVER. We do not discuss how to do this here. For one thing, we can't prove who owns the phone. We will not help commit theft. Secondly, if the phone was purchased outright at the carriers store, they would have unlocked the device at the time of purchase. This means the phone is or was intended to be on a contract. If the terms of the contract were or are yet to be fulfilled, upon fulfillment of that contract Sprint is required to unlock the device.

Alternatively, you can pay a large fee to have the device unlocked by Sprint if the contract was broken or if you want to end it prematurely. The fee with most carriers is typically $40/month remaining in the contract or $400, whichever is more.

Anyways, I'm closing this thread since discussions of this matter are frowned upon due to the reasons I've outlined. For future reference there is a sticky all about this at the top of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.