How to use a pair of speakers for both sets on an A/B switch/zone

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Basically- I just want to purchase 7 (.2 subwoofer) speakers, use the standard 5.1 in zone A as normally done, then here comes the question. If I want 5.1 in zone A, can I connect 2.1 speakers in zone B, but when not using zone B, use them as the rear surround speakers for zone A?

In this effect I could use them the following ways (only one of these ways at any given time):
1. 5.1 Zone A: TV watching.
2. 2.1 Zone B: PC Gaming (PC is located at the rear of the same room as Zone A TV).
3. 7.2 Zone A+B: TV watching.

Is this possible/how could I achieve this? I am getting a pretty nice receiver (this one) that should be able to do it if any can.

Another way to ask my question, if I left anyone confused, is..

If I use the standard Zone A/Zone B 5.1/2.1 configuration that works out of the box on most any receiver, can I add the 2.1 to the 5.1 as rear surround speakers when only using a single source? I am putting both zones in the same room, and the Zone B speakers would be located where the rear surrounds for the Zone A would belong.

The grand scheme of this is that I want to buy 7 speakers, and 2 subwoofers (I won't die if I can only have 1 but only if it works on both zones) so I can have both a 7.2 (or 7.1) TV Watching and a 2.1 PC Gaming setup using a 7.2 channel receiver (I would only use one at a time).

Thank you!

Solution
It sound like what you want is doable. You might have to go into a menu to change the powered zone 2/surround rear speaker output back and forth. Sometimes if you turn on zone 2 it won't automatically go back to surround back when you turn zone2 off. The sub for the rear surround/zone 2 will have to be feed speaker level so you may need a speaker to line level adapter. The sub in zone 1 will not play if you only have zone 2 on so you do need 2 subs.
You may have to feed the PC to the receiver via analog for zone 2 (manual of receiver will tell you).
It sound like what you want is doable. You might have to go into a menu to change the powered zone 2/surround rear speaker output back and forth. Sometimes if you turn on zone 2 it won't automatically go back to surround back when you turn zone2 off. The sub for the rear surround/zone 2 will have to be feed speaker level so you may need a speaker to line level adapter. The sub in zone 1 will not play if you only have zone 2 on so you do need 2 subs.
You may have to feed the PC to the receiver via analog for zone 2 (manual of receiver will tell you).

Solution