Question How to use the Rescue Media USB Boot Flash Drive?

Jul 3, 2019
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 1903 Build 18362.207 on Alienware 15R4 laptop with BIOS Version Alienware 1.7.0. Running Macrium Reflect Version 7.2 Build 4228.

I get a weird message when I try to boot up from the Rescue Media USB Boot Flash Drive (by hitting F12 while my computer boots up so as to go into the Boot Options Menu). I select to boot from the Rescue Media USB Boot Flash Drive. It initializes Windows PE as it should. I see all my backup images from my external drive listed, but a message pops up saying, "Close WinPE Session, Select Close Session Action, Reboot or Shutdown".

I tried to select Cancel instead of OK, so as to proceed with the restoration process, but couldn't. The mouse pad buttons don't let me select Cancel (neither does the external mouse). Escape doesn't do anything. The tab button doesn't toggle from OK to Cancel, in fact, it selects OK. Also, Alt C didn't work. There was apparently just no way to select Cancel instead of OK, so I couldn't proceed with the restoration in that manner.

When I boot up all the way (not pressing F12 to go into the Boot Options Menu), and then open the Macrium Reflect software to select a particular image to restore, it first asks me to build the Rescue Media drive (this is how I had originally made the Rescue Media USB Boot Flash Drive). Because I already made it, I select NO. Then it tells me that "the following drive is in use and restore can't continue." I then select to run Window PE and it asks me to reboot with the Rescue Media drive. I do so, and it works, the restoration proceeds at it should, although, I still see the weird message mentioned previously within the background.

I'm concerned, in that, I think I should be able to utilize the Rescue Media USB Boot Flash Drive without needing the computer to be functioning (to open the Macrium Reflect software and select the image I want before rebooting with the Rescue Media USB Boot Flash Drive). What if the computer can't boot up all the way? I wont be able to restore it because I wasn't able to open the Macrium Reflect software to tell it what to do and there was no way around this weird issue with the weird message.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
O Laptop Tech Support 4
G Laptop Tech Support 7
T Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 7
O Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 6
T Laptop Tech Support 7
W Laptop Tech Support 4