kloudja

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Hi.
I recently bough a Sony 43XE8096 and since i appreciate to watch content with the highest quality available, i want to make the most of this TV.
This way, i want to watch 4K content.
So i have some questions and some of them i would really appreciate if someone could answer.

This tv comes with Android OS and i have Netflix so i installed the Netflix App on my Sony TV. My
ISP provides me 120Mb or (MBs, not sure what is, and i think that's important) of download speed. However we all know what they say "We provide UP UNTIL 120 Mbs" and when i download files with Internet Download Manager i only achieve 17 MBs (probably my confusion about MB and Mb would ask that question but anyway i still have that question).
So putting all together, i have a 4K Tv, Netflix that allows to watch 4K content and the internet speed i just said. However 4K content have an average bitrate of 60 Mbs or higher, so it seems impossible to me, with that internet speed, to watch 4K content using Netflix streaming content. Am i right?

Second question, i have a Lenovo Y50 with the following specs:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHZ 2.50GHZ
- 12 GB Ram Memory (not sure of speed now but i think it's 1600MHz)
- SSD 256 GB
- Intel HD Graphics 4600 + 4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
But i don't know why, when i connect my computer via HDMI it connects by the Intel Graphics. Don't know why Lenovo did that, but i searched for answers and i just found that Lenovo did it and there's nothing to do.
So since i'm unable to use my laptop to see 4K content on my tv, 'coz my Lenovo laptop it's stupid i would like to be able, somehow, to do it and what i though was "Hey, i can buy a Box, connect my tv and voilá, i can watch 4K content". However i have some questions about those "Boxes" like NVIDIA Shield and others.
I'm the kind of guy who downloads movies and watch them from my computer. With those boxes it won't be possible to me to download movies with Internet Download Manager and watch them rigth? Since they are not Windows systems and they interface are not for that purpose... I have in mind that those boxes are for streams only, but i wanted to be able to download 4K movie and simply watch it, just as i do with my Laptop, nice and easy.
Is it possible with a box? Since their Operating System is not Windows it might be hard to...

So answering the 1st questions: Am i thinking correctly and am i really unable to watch 4K content from Netflix due to my internet download speed?
2nd question: I guy like me that downloads movies and wants to watch them, what box (if there exists any) do you guys recommend? Another point (i'm portuguese) so it should be able to reproduce subtitles (.srt or .ass).

Many thanks for those who understand my question and who'd try to help

Solution
I'm no expert on 4k streaming but since no one else is answering you - I will send you my thoughts.

Question 1. I think Mbs and MBS are exactly the same. So if your true download speed is 17 Mbs and netflix wants 60 or higher - it's not going to work.

Question 2. Playing downloaded movies. Are you sure you need a box at all? - most 4k tvs have a built in media player - could you not just put a movie on a usb stick (using your laptop), then plug the usb stick into your tv - open the media player and play the movie? Having said that, Sony is notoriously poor at supporting mkv format so ... I'm not sure what format your movies are. If you did decide you needed a box - that NVIDIA SHIELD you mentioned is considered by many to be the best...

robert600

Distinguished
I'm no expert on 4k streaming but since no one else is answering you - I will send you my thoughts.

Question 1. I think Mbs and MBS are exactly the same. So if your true download speed is 17 Mbs and netflix wants 60 or higher - it's not going to work.

Question 2. Playing downloaded movies. Are you sure you need a box at all? - most 4k tvs have a built in media player - could you not just put a movie on a usb stick (using your laptop), then plug the usb stick into your tv - open the media player and play the movie? Having said that, Sony is notoriously poor at supporting mkv format so ... I'm not sure what format your movies are. If you did decide you needed a box - that NVIDIA SHIELD you mentioned is considered by many to be the best of the best - it will play pretty much anything.

Solution

robert600

Distinguished
After having a closer look at your tv - I'm optimistic that you do not need a media box - the built in media player appears to support a wide range of formats and codecs including HEVC/H.265 (this is good because most 4k content will be encoded with this codec). It specifically mentions supporting the mkv container but ... as I mentioned early ... Sony and mkv have a rocky relationship to say the least. Anyway I'll paste the info below:

"Supported video files
AVC/H.264
AVCHD
AVI
DivX
HEVC/H.265
Matroska (MKV)
MOV
MPEG1
MPEG2
MPEG4
TS