News How to watch Babylon 5 Remastered online (with or without HBO Max)

sproggit

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
One of the best Sci-Fi series of all time! Already own the standard DVDs. Not going to drop another $150 for the re-mastered version.

-Wolf sends
Not just one of the best Sci-Fi series of all time, but I think it was also instrumental in recognizing that it is possible to reward an audience for wanting to really invest in a show by giving it a story arc that remains consistent across 5 seasons and 110 episodes.

Like you, I own the DVD Box set. I would love to own the High Definition versions on BluRay. I won't be buying or renting via streaming as my domestic internet just isn't reliable enough for that. If it were just me, I'd be tempted to move... but apparently if I suggest that again my wife will divorce me - and that would be bad.

With "The Expanse" [another excellent sci-fi show], it took significantly longer for the BluRay/DVD copies of Season 4 to be released after Amazon bought the show from SyFy than it did when SyFy were streaming it themselves. My theory was that Amazon wanted to nudge as many people as possible to subscribe to Amazon Prime to see the new season before they sent it to print on Bluray and DVD. I have no idea, however, whether there would be any appetite to offer a BluRay boxed set of a show that was first broadcast between 1994 and 1998, because I guess it would all come down to perceived market interest.

Then again, when you look at some of the utter rubbish being re-mastered for 4K...

I hope they do offer BluRay copies. It would be nice to see them maybe film a tribute or two for those who have passed "beyond the rim" - Andreas Katsulas, Richard Biggs, Jerry Doyle, Jeff Conaway, Michael O'Hare, Stephen Furst, and now Mira Furlan.

sproggit

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Not just one of the best Sci-Fi series of all time, but I think it was also instrumental in recognizing that it is possible to reward an audience for wanting to really invest in a show by giving it a story arc that remains consistent across 5 seasons and 110 episodes.

Like you, I own the DVD Box set. I would love to own the High Definition versions on BluRay. I won't be buying or renting via streaming as my domestic internet just isn't reliable enough for that. If it were just me, I'd be tempted to move... but apparently if I suggest that again my wife will divorce me - and that would be bad.

With "The Expanse" [another excellent sci-fi show], it took significantly longer for the BluRay/DVD copies of Season 4 to be released after Amazon bought the show from SyFy than it did when SyFy were streaming it themselves. My theory was that Amazon wanted to nudge as many people as possible to subscribe to Amazon Prime to see the new season before they sent it to print on Bluray and DVD. I have no idea, however, whether there would be any appetite to offer a BluRay boxed set of a show that was first broadcast between 1994 and 1998, because I guess it would all come down to perceived market interest.

Then again, when you look at some of the utter rubbish being re-mastered for 4K...

I hope they do offer BluRay copies. It would be nice to see them maybe film a tribute or two for those who have passed "beyond the rim" - Andreas Katsulas, Richard Biggs, Jerry Doyle, Jeff Conaway, Michael O'Hare, Stephen Furst, and now Mira Furlan.
and I would absolutely support Joe (JMS) Straczynski if he ever got the chance to do something really awesome within the B5 universe, perhaps if they were to revisit the story of the Rangers [yes, I know there was "Legend of the Rangers", but not even close to the potential it could have reached]. One of the sequences in "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" [Episode 4-23] set in 2362 - roughly 500 years after the events that were covered in Season 5 - shows that the isolationist policies chosen by Earth have led to "dark times", with the rangers "living in secret"... and just before the final sequence, set far in the future, where it becomes apparent that not only have the Rangers endured, but that mankind has evolved beyond the need for physical bodies and have become Vorlon-like "Old Ones". That intervening period covers a lot of ground... maybe there is space in there for the story of the way that the Rangers bring Earth and mankind back into the Galactic Community....