How to wire Adam F5 & Emotiva sub to PC

dtaild

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Hi all,

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I have a Asus Essence STX II sound card with only left and right channel outs. I have Adam F5 and was going to use the RCA out left and right on sound card to the XLR input on F5. I was curious whats the best way, if possible, to link in a Emotiva HT sub(BasX 10).

Currently the Emotiva is run to a Pioneer VSX 532 receiver through LFE. Can I split the LFE and run another cable to a F5 and split that to the sound card? Or would it make more sense to loop in the receiver somehow?

Solution
Ah I did not realize the Adam F5 also had a built-in amp - yes that would work, so line-out from your Asus card into the sub, then line-out to the combiner / mixer and finally to the Adam. Should work!
Best way is probably to use the receiver's LFE output - the hard part will be combining the line-level out from the sound card into the amp. There are very few products to do this properly since if you simply tie the L+R together with a y-adapter the AC signals will be fighting each other, aside from building your own circuit you can get this Galaxy Audio JIBR RCA Combiner and a TS/RCA adapter like this that should give you the mono output you need, so just pick an input on the receiver (either L or R), connect the speaker, connect the LFE to the sub, you're good to go.

Another way to combine the signals would be a mixer, something like the Behringer Micromix MX400 and 3 of those TS/RCA adapters, would be just as well.

dtaild

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Would it make it any easier if I bypassed the receiver all together?
The Emotiva sub has both a LFE and an additional red/white pair. If I used the other white out RCA and split at the Adam F5, does this sound like it would work? Still waiting to get last pieces installed for my computer build otherwise I would just try this.