how well protected is my PC

trose07

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
So I was using McAfee for a long time, but recently ran into a plethora of problems with Steam and other online stuff. So I uninstalled that and just installed ZoneAlarm (which I've used before but don't really remember) for a firewall, AVG for an antivirus, Maleware byte-antimalware, and Spybot S&D. Am I missing anything, do you have any tips to be more protected?

Solution
I would say you are OVER protected. Too much ram is being used here it looks like.

I would uninstall everything but malwarebytes (make sure you set to not start on startup)

I would get this: http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html
Bitedefender is SUPER light and it is one of the best out there. (plus its free). Its the one I use.

Just have malwarebytes, Bitedefender, and windows firewall.

Run malwarebytes occasionally, and you should be golden!

anoori9000

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I would say you are OVER protected. Too much ram is being used here it looks like.

I would uninstall everything but malwarebytes (make sure you set to not start on startup)

I would get this: http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html
Bitedefender is SUPER light and it is one of the best out there. (plus its free). Its the one I use.

Just have malwarebytes, Bitedefender, and windows firewall.

Run malwarebytes occasionally, and you should be golden!

Solution

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
You should be fine. I really wouldn't recommend an aftermarket Firewall, they really don't work that well and whenever I have done security tests with different VM machines set up from different firewall vendors they all have their own set of issues. Unless want to spend $2500 for a dedicated piece of hardware for a firewall there really isn't any point to it other than just using the windows provided firewall. The only other three things I would do is setup something like WOT in your web browser, disable JavaScript, and download and install cryptoprevent using the set it and forget it settings. You could also use something to route all your traffic through a AV vendors firewall like some VPN service providers do but that is about it for the average user. You could do more but by then you would be like me and it would take you 10mins to get everything up and running on your computer when you first turn it on, and 10 more mins when you get ready to shut it off.

anoori9000

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

Basically what I said. OVER protected :D

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I wouldn't really consider a 3rd party firewall overprotective. there are more vunrabilities in 3rd party firewalls 90% of the time than in the windows firewall. Also if OP doesn't have the paid for version of Malwarebytes he doesn't have any real time protection. F-secure or Emisoft would be a better option, and just leaving MBAM on as a 2nd scanner wouldn't be a bad thing.