how would you know if you fried your motherboard

wheely

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015
I went to turn on my laptop and because I have to lift my keyboard to turn it on one day I didn't look and then the charging LED went out and it won't turn can someone please help me.

Solution
Sounds like an interesting laptop design. Most laptops don't force you to lift up the keyboard to power it on.

All sarcasm asside - you should remove the battery for a few minutes (discharge any capacitors.) Also push the power button down for 10 seconds with no power or battery connected.

If you can plug in your power to your laptop (some designs plug directly to the battery) do so and try to power on. If it works - the MB is not fried.

Try again with the battery plugged in. See what occurs.

My wild guess based on experience is that the battery is discharged and that the power supply was loose or not connected.

BTW - you can test the power supply with a multi-meter to ensure that current is coming through the end that...

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Sounds like an interesting laptop design. Most laptops don't force you to lift up the keyboard to power it on.

All sarcasm asside - you should remove the battery for a few minutes (discharge any capacitors.) Also push the power button down for 10 seconds with no power or battery connected.

If you can plug in your power to your laptop (some designs plug directly to the battery) do so and try to power on. If it works - the MB is not fried.

Try again with the battery plugged in. See what occurs.

My wild guess based on experience is that the battery is discharged and that the power supply was loose or not connected.

BTW - you can test the power supply with a multi-meter to ensure that current is coming through the end that connects to the computer. It could also be that the PSU brick may be malfunctioning.

Good luck.

Solution