News How YouTube Taught Me to Cook More (and Order Out Less)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
First you need to change your life before Youtube can change it. We've known YouTube can teach us any number of skills but it's investing the time that is sometimes tricky. I don't have enough hours in the day and now we need to find some where none exists? I know I have my idle time where I could be being more productive. I can set down my Oculus quest for 30 minutes and cook instead.

Believe me, cooking does have its own rewards besides flavor. It's something I've loved doing for decades. It offers instant gratification too.

For those who are looking for something different and sometimes a LOT more outlandish you might check out Emmymadeinjapan. She explains everything so simply and even when she gets down to the meat of the lesson she still is easily understandable. It's a food taste channel but she also regularly cooks and she also regularly challenges herself.

The biggest secret with some of the more challenging meats, like chicken breast is MARINATING!!!! 30 minutes is enough for some thinner breasts. Can you poke the breast with a skewer more than a few times to let the marinate stretch its legs? Yep. I prefer cooking my breasts hot(medium high heat) and fast which imo keeps them from getting tough. Does letting your meat rest after cooking help anything?

The biggest secret in cooking is that recipe's are not written in stone. They can be changed to meet you or your family's needs. I don't like kidney beans in my chili(actually I really do). I can easily replace then with Pinto beans. Just be careful when you substitute or omit stuff. That meringue recipe calls for baking soda and cream of tartar in addition to the other ingredients. You don't have any cream of tartar but you have some vinegar. Can it be used in place of cream of tartar? Yes but I would use lemon instead which is still acidic enough to dance with the baking soda and allow your baked good to rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.