Solved! HP BIOS Whitelists

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hey. Anyone ever heard of this? I have an Envy 17T-J100 I am wanting to upgrade the WiFi adapter on it to an AC dual band. There are 'compatible' adapters listed. However, it's been said that HP had whitelisted the BIOS on their laptops for years...until recently. My machine is from mid-2014. Can anyone say whether it will fall under that HP curse?

Thanks!

Solution
I can't swear to it, but I think HP stopped whitelisting their laptops when they started shipping models with Windows 8 pre-installed in late 2012.

So your 2014 model should be free of the whitelist restriction.

Can't be more positive I'm afraid - HP don't haven't published any information regarding which models are not whitelist restricted.

Should my information prove to be incorrect, you can always buy a plug-in USB WiFi dual-band adapter - - whitelisting doesn't apply to those.
I can't swear to it, but I think HP stopped whitelisting their laptops when they started shipping models with Windows 8 pre-installed in late 2012.

So your 2014 model should be free of the whitelist restriction.

Can't be more positive I'm afraid - HP don't haven't published any information regarding which models are not whitelist restricted.

Should my information prove to be incorrect, you can always buy a plug-in USB WiFi dual-band adapter - - whitelisting doesn't apply to those.

Solution

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Thanks for that! I'm running Windows 10 home (64-bit), I think I'll give it a shot and grab the Intel AC 3160 wireless adapter. It's supposedly on the list. I am also considering the newer Intel 7260 ac card as well, but don't know for sure if that will work.

If you have any other input about either of those cards, let me know.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.