HP Comapq charger keeps disconnecting

MrSefyou

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
Hi,

I have an old laptop Presario CQ71 and I'm struggling with a weird problem , two days ago i was using the laptop and suddenly it lost power , it happened few times i thought the problem was from a damaged cable because when i moved the cable around the power returns, this time the charger died , i bought a used charger and it didn't work well .

the problem I'm facing is the charger gets disconnected sometimes it connects and disconnects repeatedly and the led near the chargers connector is off , it should be on !

is the new charger faulty or it's something more than just a charger issue ?

the first charger output was : 18.5 V - 3.5 A
the second charger output is :19 V - 4.74 A

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Your voltage is close enough that it shouldn't be an issue although, depending on age, it may not be providing 19v (or even 17v for that matter, a multi-meter can confirm voltage). It could very well be a problem with the motherboard's power distribution, a bad voltage regulator or the like. Have you tried using a cooling pad to see if it helps with stability? Often as heat builds up in the PC the components (which are all heat sensitive to some degree) cannot provide the voltages or currents they can at lower temps, older components more so. I think I would consider a cooling pad and (if it hasn't been done for a while) a complete physical cleaning which will also help the heat factor. You may be able to use CoreTemp (or other...
The problem is most likely a broken power jack on the laptop, it is a common enough problem that companies have sprung up specializing in the repair. In some cases the power jack is a modular affair that is rather easy to replace, yours is of the modular type
The Maintenance and Service Guide can be found here (direct PDF link) http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01713747.pdf on page number 23 of the guide is an exploded parts list, it is part #7 "Power connector and cable 531864-001" if there is an intermittent short, that could be the cause
For best performance your power adapter should be the same input voltage and at least the same (or greater) amperage

MrSefyou

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
Hi C12Friedman and thanks for your help,

at first i thought maybe its the difference in the output between the two chargers or the second charger is faulty because its old and used.
moving the jack in the connector doesn't do anything ,

could it be the problem is from the circuit of the power connector i mean the laptop motherboard ?

and if i leave it like this could it harm the laptop (the problem happens once in 3 or 4 hours ) ?

Thank you.

Your voltage is close enough that it shouldn't be an issue although, depending on age, it may not be providing 19v (or even 17v for that matter, a multi-meter can confirm voltage). It could very well be a problem with the motherboard's power distribution, a bad voltage regulator or the like. Have you tried using a cooling pad to see if it helps with stability? Often as heat builds up in the PC the components (which are all heat sensitive to some degree) cannot provide the voltages or currents they can at lower temps, older components more so. I think I would consider a cooling pad and (if it hasn't been done for a while) a complete physical cleaning which will also help the heat factor. You may be able to use CoreTemp (or other like program) to monitor your temps (some older CPU's do not have temp sensors)

Solution