Solved! HP Compaq CQ60: mysterious defect

Jun 12, 2018
Hello. I am an Italian amateur who from time to time buys a faulty laptop and tries to find the fault and repair it, just for fun. I usually succeed but this time the problem beats me. I bought this laptop which was not showing anything on display. I bought a second-hand mobo and assembled it but the problem persisted. I thought the mobo was faulty and got a refund. With the money I bought a second mobo and assembled it but the problem will not go away. I am writing from Italy. I cannot think that I was sent two different faulty mobos from two different sellers. I cannot get any image not even with an external monitor. I cannot hear any sound coming from the HDD. The power button led lights up and so does the first of three leds placed at the bottom left side of the palmrest. The fan works. It seems very odd to me but I cannot think of anything else but a faulty CPU (but I have tried 3 of them). Has anyone any idea where the defect could be? Thanks a lot and best regards

Solution
It may not be anything to do with the motherboard. Have you considered it is the display itself or the cable that connects it?

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.
It may not be anything to do with the motherboard. Have you considered it is the display itself or the cable that connects it?

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution
Jun 12, 2018
Thanks very much indeed. To be honest, I was so upset after so many days trying that I threw everything away. I shouldn't have done. However, I am noting down your hints in my notebook for future reference. Thanks a lot again and have a good day