Hp dv6-215ous

Toottles

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Im trying to play around with a new notebook and i'de like to unlock its bios features. I am long out of practice and theres new stuff im not familiar(slic 2 and 2.1) with and i've never done any work on laptops or factory built and locked equipment. On the other hand i've fined tuned my desktop hard ware software and bios overclocking so i'm not dumb to computers just out dated I guess. I want to unlock this:

Hp Pavilion dv6-2105us
insyde motherboard with an i3m

I've tried googling for hours and it brings me to slic 2.0 and then that tells me to research slic 2.1 and this is where I get confused. It seems like it would be rather easy but still stand off-ish on it. Could someone point me to a premade file or poss a quick guide.

Please and thankyou

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hopefully you understand that, by doing any BIOS modifications, you void your warranty and can possibly brick your nice new laptop. If not, well... you do now.

Onto SLIC 2.0/2.1. SLIC 2.0 are BIOS parameters that Vista searches for in order to auto-activate an OEM-provided copy of the OS so that the purchaser of the new PC doesn't have to mess with activation by any means. SLIC 2.1 does this for Windows 7. Your laptop should already have Windows 7 on it if you bought it brand new and if it doesn't, we cannot help you install it so that you can circumvent activation procedures.

As far as unlocking BIOS features go, HP is notorious for locking these down hard. There are various warranty-voiding modded BIOSes out there but most of them, on these locked laptops, end up bricking the thing when you try to save something that's an unlocked "feature."

I would advise you steer clear of this thought process when it comes to HP, or modifying laptop BIOSes in general, because of the damage it can do. If you wanted more features, honestly, you should've bought a different brand.

Edit: I speak from experience, I have an HP laptop with the same locked BIOS. I got over it.

Toottles

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Didnt buy it, dont care about damage just want to play a little with an outdated piece of junk. I am quite aware hp sucks. I've ran out of tweaking on my i7 2500
and picked this out of the attic. Just to be clear...there is no way to moddify or play around with the bios or cpu frequencie(even the old school software disigned to overclock locked systems) regardless of damage.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

I cannot stress how much I do not want you to brick your laptop. However, if you are dead set on attempting this, here you go:

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Unlocked-sp48953-For-HP-DV6-2190us

I cannot guarantee that this will work. I have not tested this, but it is the same exact BIOS as the one you are using now. HP spreads their BIOS revisions out amongst like-model laptops so they don't have to do an update for each one individually... this one is F.1C, which is the newest revision of the BIOS for your laptop.

At least, if you brick it, you can't say I didn't warn you. :ange:

Edit: Yours is a dv6-2150us, correct? That's the only one I can do you for.

Toottles

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

Thats it...that be the one good sir. I was even there about 17 times today too lol.

I new it was out there, forums kept hinting to it I just couldnt locate it. Your the man..... I figured once I let people know I dont care about the damage it could do it would surface. Bios modding used to be easy specially on my relic kittyhawk.......what happened lol. I'll let you know what the dinosaur does.

Thanks much for the direction.